Thursday, June 21, 2007

You reach your hand to hold me but I can't be your guide.

A few years ago when I was still living in Nashua, I came home from work on a Friday night to an empty house. It was fairly late and most of my friends had already made plans, so I resigned myself to a night of reading. That is, until I checked the answering machine. On it was a message from my hairdresser, which was odd because our relationship never went past the haircuts. She was wondering what I was up to and gave me a number to call her back at. I wrote it down and gave myself a few minutes to ponder this development before I took action.

I was leaning towards not calling her after giving it some thought. I liked her okay, but I wasn't really in the mood to hang out with her. However, my curiosity got the better of me and I gave her a call. She sounded surprised that I called her. After a little small talk, when it became apparent to me that she'd had a few in her, she asked me straight out if I liked her tits. Put on the spot, and not wanting to offend her, I answered in the affirmative. Even with hindsight, I still think I would have answered the same way because: A) I was telling the truth and B) even if I didn't like her tits, it would have been impolite for me to have responded, " Actually, your tits are disgusting and I'd appreciate it if you would have them removed".

After the tits question, which threw me for a loop, by the way, she asked me to come over her house. I told her I'd think about it, but when she told me she needed to know then I told her I would. I figured what the hell---it had been a dog's age since I'd last had sex and I didn't have anything better to do, so I got in my car and drove down to Massachusetts.

About a mile from her house, I called her. Someone, a little girl by the sounds of it, answered the phone and told me her mother wasn't there. I knew she had a couple of kids, but I didn't think they'd be at the house when I got there. I pulled into a Little Peach to grab a drink for my ride back home. As I was getting out of my car, I saw her talking to a couple of people by the pay phone. I called her over to me and she got in my car. I asked her if she remembered I was coming over and she said yes, but I had my doubts. She was pretty buzzed.

We went to her house and sat in the living room with her two young children. The only light in the room was coming from the TV. The kids were in their pajamas and looked to asleep, but in the dark it was hard to tell. My hairdresser sat next to me on the couch and proceeded to come on to me. After she pulled one of her breasts out of her shirt and tried stuffing it in my face, I pushed her gently aside and told her I wouldn't be doing anything with her in front of the kids. She got up and took the kids upstairs to bed while I plotted my escape. Right as I was about to bolt, she came downstairs and continued where she'd left off. I told her I should leave, that the timing wasn't right, etc, but she wouldn't have it. She took off all of her clothes right there in the living room and told me I wasn't going anywhere.

Despite not feeling right about the setting, I proceeded to have sex with her on the couch. Barely, though; I still had most of my clothes on, including my jacket. I stopped about a minute into it and told her I didn't want to go any further. She wasn't having it and she pushed me back on the couch and straddled me. As she did that, she knocked a mug off the coffee table and it landed with a heavy thud. From upstairs, a man's voice bellowed "Keep it quiet down there!".

Startled, I threw her off of me and asked her whose voice that was. She told me it was her father's, that he was staying over for the weekend to watch her kids. That was the last straw for me. Again, I told her that I needed to go. To keep me from going, she told me that the only place I'd be going was upstairs to her room to fuck her ass. I told her there was no way that was happening, especially considering the fact that her angry father was upstairs. Then, she told me it was alright if I didn't want to have sex with her because I was gay.

Apparently, because I didn't want to have anal sex with her in a room that I'm sure was only a few feet away from her father's, that meant I was homosexual. Fine with me, I thought. I just wanted to get out of there. As I was putting my shoes on, she continued with the gay talk. "You know, you don't have to be ashamed about being gay", she said. I told her I'd keep that in mind and made my way to the door. She followed me out, still naked, and the last thing she said was " I hope this doesn't mean you won't be coming by for haircuts anymore". Lying through my teeth, I told her I'd come see her for a hair cut again.

My ride home was an uncomfortable one. I felt horrible, like I had degraded myself somehow. But, I was also proud of myself. There had been a point at her house when it struck me that the reason I was doing this wasn't for a cheap thrill, though it may have appeared that way on the surface, but for something entirely different. I was trying to fill the void of my absent love life. I'm not against casual sex, in fact I've engaged in it before, and may again, but this time wasn't about that.

At that time in my life, I had a thing for someone and the thought of her was a motivating factor, not that I needed any, in getting me out of my hairdresser's house. In fact, I told my hairdresser that I was in love with someone else, though she didn't buy it. I say that, in addition to feeling lousy about the events of that night, I also felt proud. Oddly enough, I felt that way because I felt lousy about the situation. If I hadn't have felt that way, then I would have truly misrepresented myself. Again, I'm not against casual sex--in fact, I'll engage it in right now with any woman of your choosing if you want me to---I'm just more in favor of the fruits of a committed relationship.

So would I have gone through with it if her father and children weren't at the house? Maybe. I'm glad, in retrospect ,that it turned out the way that it did. I didn't belong there and I'm fortunate I was given reasons to leave. Even though the woman I told my hairdresser I was in love with subsequently didn't see me as anything more than a friend, I still continue to pursue meaningful relationships over casual ones. Of course, I did miss out on some anal sex.

No comments: