Monday, June 18, 2007

It's a sunny day outside my window

I just came back from Davis Sq., where I received a haircut from Franco, the Italian hair stylist. I'd been to him once before, on Spira's recommendation and figured why not see him again.

My first meeting with Franco consisted of a lot of talk about how much Spiridoula was like a daughter to him. He sounded sincere enough, and I certainly believe he likes her, but isn't that laying it on a little thick? It's not like she's going over to his house to attend little Anthony's birthday party or sharing a beach house with him and his family. I think she's only known him for a little over a year, anyhow. Like a daughter, you say? I think not, sir. I think not.

But as I said, he obviously has affection for Spira, and I was more than happy filling up the space with talk of someone we had in common. For this cut, however, Spira was only mentioned once, when I was trying refresh his memory as to who I was. That was it. So, without talk of Spira, I listened to him ruminate on:

--how he dislikes the word sexy, especially when applied to males. He prefers the word handsome. When one of the hairdressers told him she thought he was handsome and sexy, a smile ballooned on his face. The hairdresser, who in my opinion said that primarily in the interest of earning some brownie points, then razzed him about how when it was him who was being called sexy, it was ok. I admired her pluck and was willing to forgive her for the ass-kissing she had previously conducted. There was a brief pause---everyone stopping what they were doing to hear how Franco would respond---and Franco said, "Ok, true, but I still no like that word sexy". When I asked him why, he told me it had to do with the "gays".

--how if you want to keep a bakery going, you have to put your " blood and life" into it. According to Franco, a bakery is one of the most demanding and unforgiving businesses to get into.

--the gays. I briefly touched upon his feelings about them already, but unfortunately he elaborated. Franco does not like gay marriage because it makes the lifestyle too public. Back in his day, everyone knew about the gays, he said, but they let them be. We should have let sleeping dogs lie, he said. I wondered how I would have felt listening to him opine about "the gays" if I was homosexual. Probably the same way I felt as a heterosexual: slightly amused. For the record, I don't think Franco is a homophobe, but even still, I could have done without the editorial.
--

Today will be a lazy day for me. I plan on catching up on some reading and watching "The Wire". At some point, I'd like to check out the show "John, From Cincinnati". I think I'm predisposed to dislike the show, because the creation of this show had something to do with the cancellation of Deadwood, the best show on television. But, in Milch we trust, so I'll give it a shot and try not to hold a grudge.

No comments: