Thursday, June 26, 2014

Put a call out to Portland on the public telephone, they said it sure is raining here in the state of Oregon

I decided against putting my air conditioner in yesterday and, consequently, I had a restless night with little sleep. My first order of business upon arriving home from work today was to plop the old gal in my window. Mission accomplished. And, while I was at it, I cleaned my room a bit and did some laundry. I'm not saying I need you to be impressed with my work ethic, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if you were.

On Tuesday, I visited my mom with the intention of staying the night. I had jury duty the next morning in Lowell, which is a short drive from my mother's house. While I was there, I mowed her lawn, swept her driveway, and washed my car. There's that work ethic again, shining bright.

Well, as it happened, I didn't have jury duty. I called the hot line after dinner and was informed it was cancelled. I did not expect that. Well, whoopee!, bellowed I. But it was bittersweet because as I was leaving I could tell my mom had been looking forward to having me spend the night. I'd been looking forward to it, too, but I was glad to be able to sleep in my own bed. Still, I felt a tad lachrymose leaving her house. Ah, you can't go home again.

--
 Janelle and Bill's wedding was last Saturday and it was a splendid occasion, a wonderful day. I showed up a bit early so I could rehearse with Kat a bit (we sang Wilco's "You & I" during the newlywed's first dance) and then played guitar for the guests taking their seats like a minstrel out of some sexy English folk tale (yes, there are sexy English folk tales - bank on it, son!).

So, look, a lot went on, and I'm not here to film a shot for shot remake. Just know that Janelle and Bill tied the knot in the presence of their friends and family and I was proud to bear witness. When you're close with someone for twenty plus years, they're more family than friend. A lot of our "family" was in attendance and that was alright, alright, alright as Matty Mcconaughey is known to say (btw, he took that line from Jimmy Morrison). A mighty fine group of revelers, which included the one and only Baby Boy Z, who brought the ruckus as ring bearer. He even wore a doggy tux! Right on, Pooch Edward Bottoms. Right on.

When Kat and I arrived at the Town Hall for the reception, I thought we were at the wrong place. See, I work a couple of blocks away and I frequent the Town Hall because there's a tiny Post Office tucked away in one of the rooms. Anyway, it's an old building and I never figured a reception of any kind could have been held there. But, then again, I had never gone upstairs and that's where the reception was held. Big room with a stage. Never would've thunk it. Alright, alright, alright!

Kat and I played the song pretty well, save an egregious guitar fuck up on my part that no one I talked to about it seemed to notice (whew!). I'm sure Kat's lovely voice masked my mistakes. The Clones went on next and brought the ruckus just like the BBZ did earlier, except with music and thunderous energy. Janelle got up and sang some Lourdes with them because she was the bride but also because that's her band, son! Oh, and Bill sang all ten plus minutes of Dylan's "Sad Eyed Lady of The Lowlands" acapella. It was stirring and tear-inducing and might not have actually happened.

Anyway

And people were dressed up in rockabilly attire and there was dancing and laughter and hugs and kisses and children weaving about at waist level. It was a can't miss event!

Janelle, I am so happy for you and Bill. It was a privilege taking part in such a sacred event.

In a little over a week, I'll be moving to Spira's for a month while she's away in Bali. I'm looking forward to it. I'll be taking some vacation time early on and I plan on working on music, looking for jobs, and enjoying a place to myself. And the best part is I'll be with Missy D, aka the Princess Puppy Baby, my love. That part I'm looking forward to more than anything. Anyway, come on by. We'll do stuff.

Alright, alright, alright. It's time to mosey. I'm going to power wash my mom's house and do other assorted chores  for her on Saturday. I volunteered, she didn't even ask me. I'm not saying I need you to be impressed with my giving nature, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if you were.

Peace to all of you (even you, Billy).


3 comments:

Kate said...

Kevin, I'm impressed with your work ethic and with your use of obscure vocabulary words such as "lachrymose" (which I have to admit I had to look up) in your blog! But now that I know what it means I will say that I would have that feeling should the entire summer pass without a visit with your pure-hearted self.

Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin said...

Whoops! Deleted my last comment. Here it is again. Let's see if it'll post.

I'm pleased that you're impressed with my work ethic, Kate, and it's good to know you got there all on your own without my influence. I try to inspire and teach with this blog and it appears I've accomplished both with this post. We will take measures to ensure you don't feel lachrymose this summer, Kate. Despite liking the flavor of the word, it's not one I want to apply to myself or my friends with any regularity.