Sunday, February 24, 2013

Like the time I ran away, turned around and you were standing close to me

My iPod has been restored to its original form with little help from me. After the abuse of being put through the washer and dryer, I thought it was a goner. No response, dead. And then, a day later, it was partly operational; I could listen to songs but the screen would no longer illuminate. Selecting music to listen to required careful tilting of the device close to a light. Painstaking, but manageable. Weeks later, illumination. How could this be? Of a sudden, it was fully operational. The inescapable conclusion, one that was arrived at cautiously, is that it healed itself! On one level, this is a great thing as it saves me from having to dish out money for a new one (it's one of my possessions I use a lot and would rather not live without), but on another it borders on disturbing. If it can heal itself, might it also be conscious? And if it is, will it make quick work of my soul? Oh, my. Anyway, it's another paradox to contend with. It's okay, us earthlings are engulfed in 'em.

I was listening to Zach Hill, but his caffeinated, disjointed blitzkrieg of songs proved to be too disruptive this quiet Sunday morning. So it's on to Chopin and his nocturnes. Better.

I didn't do much this weekend, but I'll qualify it as a fine one. I've been reading a lot from The Wastelands, Bluebeard, and Dr. John Mack's Abduction, a book I put down a few months ago, but after listening to an interview with the author the other night, my interest was rekindled.

So what music goes well with The Wastelands you might be, but most definitely are, asking yourselves? Well, it's like this: Rachel's Selenography provides a fitting soundtrack, as does anything from God Speed, You Black Emperor and, of course, the haunting madrigals of Carlo Gesualdo. There you have it. I hope that helps.

My isolation was interrupted a bit yesterday when I hung out with Spira and the loveliest of lovelies, Missy D. Spira and I had burgers at The City Slicker cafe and watched Harlem Shake videos on her iPhone. The entire time we were together, we experienced the telepathy we've almost always shared. Finishing each other's thoughts, that sort of thing. Sometimes it feels like we're married. A nice visit.

I may watch The Trial today and maybe The Bank Dick. There is also Ozu's An Autumn Afternoon. Decisions. I will read, play music, and lounge around. It will be that sort of day, by gum.

I need it.

No comments: