Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys R' Us kid

It gets late and it's Gesualdo again (oh the voices make a braid of my heart!). I had an active day that began in Cambridge at the courthouse I hardly ever go to anymore and ended in Merrimack, NH at the wake of Shane's father. Sandwiched between beginning and end (and no, the night is not quite over) was work at the office followed by a visit with my mother. There is residual tension between us; the wound of our last interaction has yet to mend. Still, it was a fine visit; I love my mother so much; our bond is subterranean, simple and complex. An ineffable thing. Whatever it is, it nourished me tonight. I'm am still her child.

I arrived at the funeral parlor around seven thirty and made my exit two hours later. A lot of people showed up for this thing; between two and three thousand I'm told. The line snaked through several rooms and hallways. My line partners were Brian, John, and Ben. We were a compatible group and entertained each other throughout the wait. Occasionally, I'd venture to other parts of the line and chat with some of my finest friends. My line mates and I would envy our friends who were ahead of us in line ("Man, they'll be deep into their REM sleep and we'll still be standing here") and pity the ones behind us ("Look at the defeated looks on their faces. Poor things. I'd tell them it will be over soon, but I'd be lying. They won't be getting home until the wee hours."). Indeed, it was an epic line and we made the best of it.

Shane has such a loving and authentically functional family; it is a sad thing, the loss they've been dealt, but they are tight and will find solace in each other.

I started Vonnegut's Blue Beard today. Such vibrant prose! I ache to read from it, but may not because I also have a hankering to read from the Wastelands. Maybe I'll just jerk off instead. Not the worst idea I've had today.

I'll let you know how it goes. Later, gators.

No comments: