Sunday, January 6, 2013

Like a bird freed from his cage, all night and all day I'll play and sing

The weekend creeps to a close and it was a fine one spent with friends. On Friday, I headed up to Merrimack for Shane's surprise birthday party. Heartening seeing close friends. The party was held at Tortilla Flats, one of Shane's haunts. I remember going there with him years ago when we were recording some of my songs. I'm pretty sure he was surprised. My one surprise party wasn't even mine. It was my friend Pepe's, but for some reason everyone thought I was him when I walked in the door. They bellowed "Surprise!" and sprayed me with silly string. It took longer than I figured it would for everyone to figure out I wasn't the birthday boy. The rest of the night paled in comparison.

Yesterday was spent at Spira's place. She was battling a bug and I played nurse as best I could. I brought over my deluxe editions of the Lord of The Rings trilogy and we got as far as the first half of the Two Towers. I think she continued on with the rest today. As for me, I went and saw The Hobbit again with Craig today, this time sans 3d. Just as good the second time around.

My spiritual work continues. I've been downloading Ram Dass podcasts and watching Joseph Campbell's sublime Power of Myth series. That man had it right, I believe. I've been practicing yoga and meditating and studying. As a result, an inner peace has been blossoming along with a greater sense of the interconnectedness of all things. There are ups and downs still, but I go easy with myself and understand it's a process that unfolds at its own pace.

Thoughts of my dad surface every now and then that drill anguish right into my heart. I miss him so much. Before I headed up to Shane's party on Friday, I stopped at my mom's house for a visit. I hadn't cried in days, but I did then. Reminders abound in that house. There is still a part of me, the inner child that calls out for his father, that is in disbelief. It will take time to heal.

Namaste, friends.


No comments: