Sunday, January 20, 2013

And I feel like I've been here before

Back from Peterborough and fresh from a satisfying nap that infused me with a crisp mind (we'll find out how crisp as things progress), which is a tricky thing to achieve. We all know the dull mind an overlong nap can produce. Though I did have a late night, I still managed to get about seven hours of sleep and no, the nap was not a necessity, but my heart deemed it was. And because it's essential to obey the voice of the heart (or any voice for that matter - no, really) I took that nap like a champ without hesitation. When I awoke, I made a bonanza salad that featured many salad all stars; baby beets, tofu, herbs and greens among them. I feel like Zeus just blasted me straight through my third eye with the totality of his immense and incomprehensible power. Thank you, Mr. Zeus.

I'm listening to Rimsky-Korsakov's The Story of The Calendar Prince. I figured it would provide suitable accompaniment to the writing, but I was mistaken; it's a bit distracting. I think I should just come to terms with the fact that I prefer silence when I write. Ah, that's not really true, but look, I'm eager to move on, so let's put this baby in its crib and talk about my sexy adventures in Peterborough, NH. We can come back to this topic in a later post if you insist, but only if you beg me with the fervor of Joan of Arc.

Shortly after my arrival at Rachael and Mike's place, Scott and Eszter made theirs and we all sat down for a dinner of ribs (plucked from a deceased pig at The Well School where Rachael works), quinoa with black beans, potatoes, bread, and macaroni and cheese which seemed to be meant for Rachael and Mike's son, Kyle, but after he refused a serving of the stuff because he preferred the white version over the orange one that was offered up, I spooned a sizable dollop onto my plate. Guess what, Kyle, orange mac and cheese is classic mac and cheese. And thus it is tasty mac and cheese. That is your first lesson in life (ok, probably not the first, but surely the most significant). Now go fix me a gin and tonic, ya ragamuffin. I confess that bit of business did not happen, but if you fancy the notion of a multiverse, it very well could have. Let's hope so.

Before dinner, I had a beer and then Rachael made me a screwdriver. By the time we ate, I had a warm buzz. Not long afterward, Rachael's friend Amanda came by with her son and a baby sitter and we all headed to Harlow's Pub to watch Cirkestra, a band I'd never heard before, but had been intrigued about. Circus music with a klezmer bent? Sure, why not.

Rachael had told me earlier she thought Amanda and I would hit it off. She said something to the effect of "You guys will be instant besties." Or was it beasties? Anyway, she once said the same thing about Billy and look at the absolute horror he's made of my life. But, as it happened, Rachael was spot on this time and Amanda and I hit it off.

I found her to be funny (I still think back to some of the things she said and chuckle), intelligent, and attractive. How could I not hit it off with someone like that? I mean, we talked books and goofed around. Watching her and Rachael ham it up on the dance floor was a treat to behold.That's my skill set. I love meeting interesting human beings .

I enjoyed the band a lot. I'm not as interested in seeing live shows as much these days, but their type of music swings and should be experienced live. It was one of the better shows I've seen in a long time - these cats went deep into their instruments. And the vibe of the pub was a nice one; too often, especially at the bars around here, there's an air of latent hostility. Peterborough is a happening place.

Amanda left with Rachael at some point and when the rest of us got back to the house she was gone. That was a bummer, but it didn't spoil the night. I was glad I got to meet her at all. And maybe I'll encounter her again (hopefully not at the bottom of a well or trapped in a cage with angry hyenas). I'm trying to listen to my dharma, or what the Quakers call the small, still voice. Or, put another way, I'm just trying to go with the flow, man. Ya dig? The flow will guide me true. Or maybe not, how the fuck should I know? Anyway....

Rachael and I stayed up later than everyone else. We talked a bit and stepped outside to admire the stars. It was late and she could barely keep her eyes open, but she trudged through. Me, I was aflame with the light and love of God almighty and burned brightly through the night! Until I puked rib meat all over my shoes. No, that did not happen, but I suppose it could have if I had had more to drink or if Rachael had poisoned the ribs, which, I'm not going to lie to you, I strongly suspected. Do not tell her this.

After breakfast this morning, Scott and I took some time to work on some music. We're both energized by this project and I predict we're going to produce some fine music. Scott told me Shane is up for playing percussion with us, which was pleasing to my ears. And you know what else is pleasing to my ears? The sound Moe, the resident guinea pig, makes when you stroke his head as lays on your lap. It's a squeaky, purring sound. How could that not be pleasing? Anyway, Moe was pretty cool even though he treated my fingertips like carrots.

Ok, rascals, off with you. Remember to say your prayers and wash behind the ears.






No comments: