Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Five to one, one in five, no one here gets out alive

I've been having thoughts about a vaguely hippie lifestyle, one that finds me under the blankets with my love in some rustic, tranquil setting. Making love under a blanket under the downy stars, meditating on a hill top, hanging out with my pooch, that sort of thing. What's this world's equivalent to the Shire? I want to go to there.

Whenever I think I've made headway in taming my ego, I think of two things:

1. My mother saying, "Don't forget to say thank you" when I'd receive a gift or favor from someone as a child. It bothered me because I always had the intention to say as much; I didn't need to be told. Her meddling reduced what would have been a sincere, rightful act to something that felt like it was imposed on me. Whenever I think of that type of instance, I get agitated. Ego level: High.

2. I know it shouldn't matter to me - I know this on a conceptual level - but it bothers me if I put money into a tip jar at a coffee place and the person doesn't notice. This happened the other day at The Ultimate Perk in Andover. I put a dollar in the bowl right as the barista (sp?) looked away. I feel like they need to see you leave the tip because they'll think you're a creep otherwise. Ego level: High.

So I think of those things and I can use them as tools. For example the latter example could be used as an exercise. I could make a point of leaving the tip only when the person is looking away. Be selfless in your giving, child, and expect no reward. This is the way to higher consciousness.

Shit! It's late. I'm out, ya rascals.

No comments: