Thursday, November 29, 2012

Tonight there's going to be a jailbreak

I just took my yoga practice to another level. I don't even have the words, which is just about right because it went beyond words. There was clarity, mindfulness, almost no thought, fluidity. At times, and I'm not even joking, I felt as if there was a samurai warrior superimposed over my being. I could see his face (o' those leopard eyes!) every once in a while on the back of my lids. Was I receiving assistance from a disembodied teacher? Or had I called forth an archetype? Who knows. Good timing for a breakthrough; had a long, productive day and needed to turn the nozzle on the old safety valve for a bit. Yoga is a hell of a drug.

I started the week feeling like I had a decent grasp on handling the new car or, to be more specific, handling the change over from automatic to manual transmission. My first two cars were the latter, but my last two were the former; it had been a while. Driving home on the highway last night, I thought about what I needed to do if I had to come to a complete, sudden stop. The idea is to remember to get yourself in gear so you don't stall out, if you haven't already. I learned over the summer how perilous it is to be stationary on the highway with a legion of cars barreling towards you. Anyway, almost immediately after thinking that, I had to slam the brakes (I was at roughly the same spot as the previous incident). I didn't stall out, but I had to act quick and shift like a mother fucker because I had hell hounds on my trail. So why did traffic come to a complete stop? No idea. It picked up moments later. I'll chalk it up to imbecilic drivers who would be suited grazing in a pasture somewhere than operating heavy machinery. Fucking dicks.

As I say, I began the week feeling like I had a good grasp of things, but over the last couple of days I feel like my skills have regressed a bit. Trying to shift from fourth to fifth gear getting on the highway tonight didn't go very well. What I thought was fifth was actually third. The car let forth a gravelly yelp and I hurriedly rectified the situation. And I stalled out a couple of times yesterday. Oh well, these things happen. I'm sure it will all come back to me. I just need to smooth out my form.


It gets later in evening and I'm getting tired. A busy day today that found me hoofing around Boston in the morning and multi-tasking like a champ back at the office. I will sleep like a calf with a bellyful of milk. Before that happens, though, I'll try to work on some music, dick around online for a spell, read from The Shining.

May the force be with you.

No comments: