Monday, November 26, 2012

She knew when she landed, three days she'd stay

I awoke from a nap yesterday and headed to the grocery store on a whim. I picked up some snow crab sushi and a couple of other items and made my way to the express check out line. I snaked through the crowd of people lodged between the registers and aisles. I dimly noticed someone about three feet away walking towards me through the din. One of us would have to move or we'd collide.

We made eye contact. Recognition; a former friend. I heard myself say "Hey, Adam" out of sheer reflex. His only form of acknowledgement was a grin that had no humor or warmth in it. He never slowed his pace; he was past me in a matter of seconds. Guess he didn't have time to stop and chat. Waiting in line a few moments later, I reflected on what happened. Man, that was not a friendly look he gave me. I thought upon how unfortunate the whole affair is.

Unfortunate. Sad. Irreversible. I hope I'm wrong on the last count, but it doesn't seem likely we'll ever reconcile. He loathes me (I think it's safe to say that's not an exaggeration), but I do not loathe him. Up until I found out he wanted nothing to do with me, I thought we were still close. He was, and still is, one of my favorite people and was probably my closest friend. I never felt as much ease with anyone else. As much as I sometimes want to resent him for this whole business, I find that I can't. I still regard him as one of the finest humans I've ever met. I consider myself lucky to have been a friend of his for so long. I wish him well and hope he'll someday be able to see things differently.

There is much I'm leaving out. I've debated whether to even touch upon it at all. There is a  psychological component and other things that I'd rather not share. While I feel it would be justified for me to really get into it, to lay it all bare under the glare of scrutiny, I stay my hand. Something about that psychological component and the fact that I want to respect his privacy while expressing how I feel. Who knows, though; I suppose at this point it really doesn't matter what is said. Ah, it's an odd situation, this; best leave it where it belongs: in the cob-webbed basement of the past.

Anyway, to quote Mr. Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."
--
I had several dreams last night about being at the Overlook Hotel. I read a lot from The Shining yesterday; it made sense. I don't recall them being bad dreams, which is kind of strange. Hey, I'm not complaining; I'm in no rush to be plunged into nightmares. I'll read some more tonight. I'll let you know how my dreams turn out. In the meantime, I'll watch the latest episode of The Walking Dead. That should balance things out. 

Peace and love to y'all!

No comments: