Thursday, August 9, 2012

I wish I was a trapper, I would give a thouand pelts, to sleep with Pocahontas, to find out how she felt, in the morning on the fields of green

A few years ago, my friend Keith gave me three framed posters, each depicting something Lord of The Rings related. Even though I was an avid reader of fantasy novels at the time and The Lord of The Rings trilogy was the genre's bible, I was more interested in the frames than the posters. Up until recently, only one of the three was displayed (It's in our bathroom and shows one of the Nazgul flying around Mordor in menacing fashion. It's not a comforting image, which is why I find the fact that it's in our bathroom, a place where a certain degree of comfort is expected and perhaps even necessary, so exquisitely funny). When Matt moved in, he hung up the other two (One is of Gandalf in the Shire, the other has German writing and depicts the Balroc all pissed off and intimidating as fuck.

Earlier, Fred and I were talking and I said, "Isn't it kind of funny that Lord of The Rings imagery is featured prominently in our apartment and none of us is really that into it ? I mean, anyone visiting our place would have to assume we were pretty big fans."

"I never really thought of it", he said. "You know, I wasn't even sure of who the guy was in this one (points at the one hanging over our sink) and then I kind of just figured it was Gandalf. Shows you how much I'm into the series."

Unless it's 100% kick ass, I'm about 90% inclined not to wear a Lord of The Rings t-shirt. But yet, I live in a place that has not one, not two, but THREE Lord of The Rings themed posters hung on the walls. It suggests to anyone who visits me that I'm more than a casual fan. So, should we take the prints down and hang ones that are more representative? Nah, it's kind of funny having them up. Verdict: they remain in place until I decide to replace them with images of my favorite wrestlers (Stone Cold Steve Austin representin', son!).

2 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

yeah... no way would I take them down! If anything you should add to the collection. Perhaps a statue of Gollum?

(No I am not a fan. Never read the books or watched all of the movie but the Gollum creature thing use to give me nightmares. The uncanny similarities between him and my daughters first 3D Ultrasound picture were pretty scary.)

Kevin said...

A statue of Gollum would fit perfectly with the decor. I bet you'd be pretty concerned if your daughter still looked like Gollum. He does have pretty eyes, though ;).