Monday, August 27, 2012

Come on, come on, try and catch me, try and catch me

Oh, Monday, it's not your fault you couldn't live up to a great weekend, yet I'm glad I'm almost through with you. I'm tired and the prevailing thought of the day was that I should have taken you off so I could lounge around like Baby Boy Z or any other of my canine friends. Still, it was a good day, save for the ominous appearance of the engine light as I headed in to work. I'm hoping it's not going to cause a major headache.

To balance the mild stress of the car situation, I was offered a full time position at work, which basically amounts to about ten more hours a week. Now I'll  be able to buy stuff I don't need or even really want. Look out, Walmart, here I come! Daddy needs himself a fryolater.

Camping went well. The weather was only a fraction away from perfect and so was the company. Spira, Missy D, and I went up together on Thursday; Mike and Kreg arrived earlier in the day; and Kristen arrived on Friday. Over the years my friends and I have camped at this location in the Green Mountains of Vermont, fewer and fewer sites have been made available to campers. Fortunately, Mike found us a fantastic one. It was off the road a bit, the main part wide and open to the sky, and right next to a stream and its pools to bathe in. Ideal.

The four of us went for a nice hike on a trail I had hiked a few years back. Nice, except for the fact that it was uphill the entire way back. I had forgotten about that. Kreg wanted to kill me, but he ended up appreciating the challenge. It was a good workout, to be sure - physical and mental - but everyone took something from it.

Spira and I practiced yoga after the hike. It was a nice session, with Spira imparting some of what she learned in Maui. What else did we all do? Well, we bathed in the icy revivifying stream, sat around the fire and socialized, read, ate a lot of food, played and listened to music. An asshole bee stung me on the middle finger as I was digging a hole to shit in. That put a painful stamp on my last day at camp, but I only complained about it like a toddler most of the day. Fuckin' hurt, man!

Missy D had a wonderful time. She fashioned at least three beds around the campsite and did plenty of exploring. She was such a good girl the entire time. Whenever I wandered off to get wood, she came along. Every morning, I'd come into Spira's tent and snuggle up with her for a bit. Man, do I love this pooch.

It would have been tough, or, to be more precise, tougher leaving on Saturday if it wasn't for the party at Rachael and Mike's we were headed to. It took Spira and me a long time to get there. They live a bit off the beaten path in New Hampshire; we drove many a winding road through parts of the state I'd never been to. Lots of farmland and rivers and hills. Quite scenic.

We didn't reach the house until around seven thirty. Our first order of business upon arriving was to shower (thank goodness they had two of them) and then set up tents before it got dark. Fortunately, there was room in the house to sleep, so we did without the tents.

Post shower and fresh as a daisy, I settled into the party and had myself a fine time with friends old and new. Shane, Scott and I broke out the guitars and played each other songs. Shane and I sang Devendra Banhart's Lazy Butterfly together. Rachael broke out her flute (who would have thought?) and went to town. Scott and I accompanied her through Van Morrison's Moon Dance, which was choppy but a blast all the same. I was grateful for the chance to play with other people.

Later, Kat picked up a guitar and played a song from Donovan (I wish I could remember the name, especially since I'm a fan), which blew our minds, and then regaled us with some Irish folk songs. I had never heard her sing before; it was a peak experience. Scott had told me before about the raw talent she possessed, but I assumed he was also implying she had a long way to go. What a voice - I didn't want her to stop singing. She doesn't have a long way to go, she's already there. Turned out it was a mutual admiration society we had going on; Kat told after her performance that after hearing me play at Scott's wedding, she had wanted to collaborate with me. We made a pledge to do so. My head is swimming with ideas.

As for the rest of the party, well there was debauchery; not so much as to invite danger, but enough that if I were to share it, I'd be incriminating myself and others. I will say that I stayed up very late for a very worthwhile reason. I slept for a little bit on the couch in the main body of the house, but relocated to the basement when I realized there would soon be a lot of traffic all around me - dogs, children, and adults - and sleep would be impossible. I drowsily threw down a couple of blankets on the floor next to Missy D and zonked my ass out. I woke up a little stiff, but it was worth the extra bit of sleep I was able to get.

Those of us who stayed over lazed about for a good chunk of the day yesterday. Spira led Rachael, Scott, and Eszter through a yoga session while I took a walk with Missy D. It was such a glorious day, I don't think anyone wanted to leave.

But leave we did. When I arrived home, I unpacked the car and took a long nap. It was good being home, but it was too bad the weekend was over. I had spent the last several days with good friends. Yes, it was too bad, but there will be more good times to come.




No comments: