Sunday, June 24, 2012

Hip-hip for the lift, hip-hip for the drag, I want them all in my bag

Sunday. I woke up and practiced yoga for an hour. I tried, and was somewhat successful, not to let the disarray that surrounded me agitate my mind. Afterward, I ate breakfast, meditated for an hour, and enjoyed the quiet that has been surprisingly predominant all weekend. When Matt got up around two (he might give you a run for your money, Kreg) and turned on his stereo, I gathered some supplies and walked over to the park, where I sought tranquility over skater punk.

The park was the image of serenity. Scattered about were people laying out in the sun. I read from the Bhagavad Gita  and then listened to Pandit Jasraj summon divinity on my iPod while I languidly watched the sun shimmer and wink through the swaying branches above me. I stayed  for a few hours and left when a birthday party broke out about fifty feet away from me.

Last night I hung out with Mara. Before watching Inception, which she had never seen, she filled me in about the guy she's (sort of) seeing. She really likes him, said they've got great chemistry; the only problem is that he doesn't want to commit to anything beyond casual. Which is fine, but when she mentioned to him that she was going on a date this weekend, he suddenly showed more interest in her and floated the idea that it was possible he might be more smitten than he previously thought. Call me cynical, but I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that once he feels secure she's not seeing anyone else, he'll return to keeping her at arm's length. Needless to say, I advised her not to settle on this situation if she's looking for something more. While she's focusing her energy on him, she can't direct it towards one that suits her desires. Of course, I stressed, whatever advise I dole it out is informed by only one perspective: hers. I tried not to speak from a position of a complete knowledge of events, but at times it felt like I was. Beware the nettles of advice giving! Still, my overarching point, that she should never settle no matter who's she's dating, got through, I think. Will this one come around? Will he someday look at her and say, "I think I'm ready to take this to the next level", as he tenderly reaches for her hand? Time will tell.

Almost through watching all the Curb Your Enthusiasm episodes. Thank you for the laughs, Mr. David. And thank you also for keeping Leon around. More laughs on the way: Season 2 of Louis is streaming on Netflix and I'm going to be all over that like crocs on a dumpy hippie.

As you were, my little soy beans. As you were.

No comments: