Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Well they say it's kind of frightening how this younger generation swings, you know it's more than just some new sensation

I stayed home today. I hadn't had a day off  from work  in a while and, given the slow burn of discontent that's been brewing inside me as concerns it, I feel it was the right thing to do. Actually, things have smoothed out a little, but still, a day off was desired. I practiced yoga early in the day (a great session; the headstand mojo is coming along), read from The Drawing of The Three, took a nap that didn't really take, read some more and listened to the new Sun Kil Moon album, which contains so much naked, and often brutal, honesty throughout its seventy two minutes, the word brave comes to mind when thinking of ways to describe it. It may be too early in the listening game to state it, but Mark Kozelek took his writing to another level (the guitar playing is, as always, beautiful) with this album, and I will consider it a grave injustice if it doesn't get its due (so far it hasn't; the reviews I've read have been favorable, but reluctantly).

So it was a layabout day and, except for the yoga, when I had the energy and will to challenge myself physically, I spent a good part of it feeling a touch under the weather and nursing whispers of cynical, self-defeating thoughts. Late in the day, I took a shower and tried thinking of ways to snap me out of this malaise. Enough was enough. So I went down to the living in my short shorts and t shirt and got my zumba on. No, I did not really do that, but even the thought of zumba is enough to trigger some mirth. What I  really did was make a healthy dinner (veggie burger with fresh avocado and tomatoes with a side of stir-fried mushrooms and fish over a bed of mixed greens.

I've had a chill all day, actually the last several days, that has been hard to shake. I've been reluctant to turn the heat on - it is, after all, June - but I've come close. I've closed some window instead and it seems to have worked. I was beginning to think it was just my aging bones that brought the chill on, but I heard Matt, who is as spry as a well developed  third grader, close the window in his room earlier. I'm not a grandpa yet.

And now, you angels of mercy, I demand you go pick up a book and read from it. No How I Met Your Mother or America's Got Toddlers for you tonight. Work you minds, children. Don't know what to read? Ok, I'll tell you what book to read: The Golden Bough. Don't hem and haw - just get that book in your hands. And for you, Billie, I've got a different one: Blood Meridian. No go forth, all of you, with your task!

No comments: