Wednesday, July 6, 2011

We used to have good times together, but now I feel them slip away

It is very hot out and I'm gearing up to go for a run. My plan is to wait until early evening with the hope that it will have cooled off a bit by then. I'm doubtful, but there's a slight breeze, which should help.

I need some exercise. I haven't done any for the last several days and if I wait too long, I'll have to buy some new clothes that will accommodate my new-found fatliness (just made that up. I like it.) See, while I wasn't exercising, I was eating rather unhealthily. The cookout at my parent's house on the 4th didn't do me any favors. Burgers, hotdogs, cookies, birthday cake, potato salad, you name it - all in abundance. I didn't gorge, but I didn't hold back, either. Still, I'm willing to bet there were far more egregious eating offenses on that day.

I had a good time with my family. I picked Nana up on my way and, due to her hearing issues, I yelled myself hoarse trying to talk with her. "How's your new roommate working out?". "So far, so good, Nana". "Did you say she chops wood?". "No, I said SO FAR SO GOOD." "Oh, it's a nice neighborhood?" No, I SAID SO FAR SO GOOD!" "I'm sorry, you think I should what?" .

Never mind.

Hey, for someone in her nineties, Nana is doing pretty damn well. Her eyes and ears are failing her, but she keeps trucking. Somehow, despite those deficiencies, she knows everything about everyone. Don't know how she's does that.

Rae is pretty much all moved in. Or, to put it more aptly, she's all moved in, but she's still unpacking and organizing her stuff. Her dog, Mike, is a cutie, but I'm a little worried that he might be trouble. I've noticed that whenever Rae isn't with him, he whines and even barks. Makes sense in light of the fact that she's with him almost all the time. I don't mind so much, but I hope it doesn't bother the landlord upstairs. I'm not too worried, however, because I'm sure some of this behavior is because he's living in a new place. We'll see. He's barking as I write this. Oh, boy.

My birthday was yesterday and I had to work. I was tired all day and wished I'd had the foresight to take the day off. Would have meant a nice long weekend. Ah, but I didn't; no use stewing over it. Other than that, it was a quiet birthday. Janelle stopped by to pick up some stuff and Spira and Missy The Dog came by later for a visit.

Ok, time to start thinking about this run.

No comments: