Friday, July 15, 2011

Misery's the river of the world

It's Friday. I'm home from work and just woke up from a nap. The day flew by, but it was a hassle to get through. I was only in the office for an hour when Marcy informed me I needed to go to the Salem registry of deeds to do some recording. I left around one and made a pit stop in Burlington so I could visit Barnes and Noble and purchase A Dance With Dragons. I had a gift card that still had some value, so going a little out of my way was worth it. At the checkout counter, the cute clerk informed me that the author had been at the store on Tuesday. People were lining up outside the store at seven in the morning, she said. "What time was his appearance scheduled?", I asked. "Seven at night", she replied. Hmm, not sure if I believe that, but then again, the last Harry Potter movie premiered last night and people were camping out everywhere for tickets.

Driving through Salem on a Friday afternoon, or pretty much any time, sucks. Constant traffic. I did my work there and made my way home. On the highway, my low fuel light went on. I had gotten gas on my way to work; guess it wasn't enough. Somehow, I managed to make it home and all the way to the Market Basket in Somerville. I go to that store rarely because it's a nightmare to shop at. Talk about traffic!

Hung out with Foley last night. I met him at the Diesel Cafe and we walked to Harvard Square. I was feeling like shit yesterday, but hoped the walk would give me a little pep. It did on the way there, but the walk home was rough. He had a couple of errands to attend to and then we stopped at the Brattle for some coffee. It was good seeing him. Always good conversations when I hang out with Foley.

When I got home, I was exhausted. I checked some emails for a few minutes and then crawled into bed. I had thought I was getting better, but whatever cold I've got informed me last night that it was still present and more eager than ever to fuck me up. Marcy's been sick this week, too. What's with all the summer colds?

Been melancholy and trying to snap out of it. Given the way things have been going for me, it's not surprising. Ah, I'm too lethargic to get into any of it. The only bright light has been the release of A Dance With Dragons. Oh, now I'm feeling better. Guess I should hurry and finish A Feast For Crows so I can dive into the book I've been waiting six years for. And True Grit just arrived in the mail. Maybe if I don't do anything tonight, I'll watch it.

No comments: