Sunday, October 31, 2010

We are living in a material world

Saw Mara today. It had been more than a couple of weeks since we last saw each other and she was in the same depressed state today as she was then. She's been seeing a therapist and has been taking medication, but it still hasn't taken effect yet. I knew that the second I walked into her house. She was weeping when she answered the door and continued to do so off and on during my stay. I tried bringing some levity into the environment, but it didn't stick. We went into her room and she collapsed on her bed next to a box of tissues. We didn't talk much.

I convinced her to take a walk. We ventured down to Union Square, stopped at a bakery, and then came back. I didn't stay long. In fact, a part of me couldn't get out of there quick enough. I suppose that's selfish, perhaps uncaring, but there it is. I care for her a lot, but I wasn't doing much good being there. What ails her runs pretty deep and I am helpless before it. I'm not a fatalist about her situation, however. I think once her medication kicks in, she'll be in better shape. And I also think my being with her helped some, but, man, it wasn't a picnic.
--
Rich moved out on Friday. Throughout the week, Janelle and I had wondered if he was going to leave without saying goodbye. He was in full hermit mode and seemed as if he didn't want much to do with us. On Friday morning, Rich came into the kitchen and told us he'd be leaving soon. We talked a bit and said our farewells. When I came home from work, he was still there. His sister was coming by to pick him up. While he waited, we had a good talk until his ride showed up. Both of us were glad we had the opportunity to hang out a bit before he left.

Despite some issues, some more problematic than others, it was bittersweet seeing Rich go. It was time, though. If he hadn't made the decision to move, we probably would have made it for him. He was a negative presence in the house and it affected everyone. Most of his issues had more to do with himself than with us, but whatever he was going through was often directed outward. And it didn't help that he had someone whispering in his ear about me (Oh, I know all about it). Can't say I was overjoyed at that development - it made things worse, to be sure - but that won't be happening anymore. I probably should have spoken up about what I knew, but I don't think it would have mattered much. Guess this person will have to talk shit about me to someone else now that Rich has left the building.

(Most of the above was written yesterday, but I lost my Internet connection, so I'm picking up where I left off)

Ella is all moved in. One carload was all it took. Actually, it wasn't even a carload - she only made a couple of trips to the car and she was done. Talk about traveling light. She had some clothes, an air mattress, pillow and a few other things. She said this was a result of her simplifying things. Pretty admirable.

I'm behind schedule. Have things to do and I better get started. Just watched Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr. Pretty good, well done, but it seemed like it was lacking in some regard. Okay, I'm out.

2 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Congrats on the new roomie! Good to hear you and Rich left on decent terms... I have to say I cant imagine anyone speaking ill of you... aye but some people have nothing better to do my dear. Chin up and no worries!
-Leigh

Kevin said...

Thanks, Leigh. For someone who was a virtual shut-in, there was a lot of drama around Rich. Thankfully, that is done with. Hopefully, Ella will be drama free.