Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I am a roving gambler, I've gambled down in town, whenever I meet with a deck of cards, I lay my money down

Therese came to work late this morning. As she was getting settled, she told Sharon and me that she was delayed because she couldn't find her keys. After searching everywhere in her house, she finally found them in the grass near her front door. Immediately, I saw the problem with this scenario. "So how did you get in the when you came home yesterday?", I asked. Her jaw dropped slightly and her eyes widened. Barely perceptible, but I caught it. I wasn't in the business of trying to catch her in a lie and didn't want her to have that impression, so before she could respond, I said, "Or was someone home already?"

Instead of replying that indeed one of her sons or husband was home , she said "Oh, we don't lock our doors. I suppose we should, but we don't." Therese is the type to install a metal detector in her doorway. This business about leaving the doors unlocked during the day doesn't ring true.

Throughout the day, it became more evident that Therese was late for a reason other than the one she provided. At one point, when recounting her search for her keys, she said her son, who's been unemployed and at home for the last week, helped her look for them. I resisted the urge to ask her about a spare set of keys, but I did wonder. If Therese doesn't have a set of spare car keys filed away somewhere in her house, clearly labeled and visible, then I'm the newest cast member of Jersey Shore. And if she was worried about her house key, well A) she already established they don't lock the doors, so no worries there and B) her son, Billy, is home all day, so even if she was in the habit of locking the door, she wouldn't have needed to this morning.

It's possible Therese was telling the truth, but I doubt it. I was fairly amused by the whole thing but a small part of me felt hurt that she couldn't have told me the truth. Maybe the truth was too embarrassing. What if she was late because she was having a little morning delight with her husband. Maybe she had spent all night at a cock fight and overslept. Ah, I'll probably never know the truth. All I know is that Therese needs to lie better. She needs to look for holes in her story before she presents it, otherwise she could get caught in a lie. Hey, we can't always bring our A-game to the table.
--
I haven't heard back from Ella, our new roommate, yet. After she accepted our offer, I emailed her asking her about when she'd be available to drop off her rent check. That was on Sunday; still no response. I'm not too concerned, but I hope I hear back from her soon. If she bails on us, it could really put us in a bind. One thing I've kept in mind is that throughout our correspondence she's never gotten back to me right away. I suspect the reason for this has to do with the fact that she might not have frequent access to a computer. She's staying with a friend and hers might be packed away somewhere. We'll see. I'm crossing my fingers. How many days do we let go by without a response before we pull the plug and seek out another roommate? Hmmm, let's hope it doesn't get to that point. If I don't hear from her by tomorrow, I'll shoot her another email. I don't have her number (I asked for it in the last email), but she has mine. She doesn't seem the type to bail, but you never know.

In the meantime, we're counting down the days until Rich leaves. I'll get into it another time, but he's really getting on our nerves. What else is new.

And now it's time for me to shut it down. I have laundry to attend to and I may watch Sita Sings The Blues.

No comments: