Sunday, October 24, 2010

I'm beating my retreat back home to you

Sunday. A good day to listen to the Stanley Brothers, so that's what I'm doing. I just finished watching the Red Riding trilogy. I watched the first installment yesterday and liked it so much I watched the remaining two today. The films depict a corrupt police force in West Yorkshire England as it tries to cover up a pedophile ring. Filled with rubes, cockerels, and miscreants, the films are bleak, but there are characters who try to expose the corruption. Gripping stuff.

Wrote a song in about ten minutes the other night, lyrics and all. I'm pleased with it and wish this type of thing would happen more often.

This is Rich's last week in the house. I think, over the last week, I've seen him a total of a minute and a half and shared only the briefest of conversations. He's been doing the hiding hermit bit and I half suspect he'll continue with it right up until when he leaves. Whatever. I'm ready for the change. I look forward to seeing what Ella is about.
--
I've never seen a scarier political climate in this country than what we have now. Really, these are truly dark days. Where are the rational voices? Even during the Bush empire, there were at least a few, now it's just a rogue's gallery of villains who make no bones about not having the citizen's interests in mind. Obviously, I'm being cynical here and maybe not entirely rational myself, but things are grim and it's tough to be positive.

On that note, I will finish my coffee and contemplate my next move. Dexter is on soon, I'd like to work on some music, and perhaps I'll watch either Sherlock Holmes or Crazy Heart, the two Netflix movies I have in my possession. Monday approaches - can I make it through another week? We'll see.

2 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Kevin,
Scary times indeed! Thats why I steer clear of the news... We will see if in the long run if ignorance truly is bliss...right now I'm pretty damn happy though.! lol :)

Kevin said...

I'm with you, Leigh. I've found that I'm much happier staying away from all the negativity. Keeps me away from current events, but it's a healthier approach. I hope so , anyway.