Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Last night I saw the new moon clear, with the old moon in her hair

Yesterday, I went to court to appeal the speeding ticket I got back in May. There were about thirty other people doing the same thing. I was glad I put a few extra quarters in the meter, but had a feeling it was going to be a close call whether I got a ticket or not. Would have been kind of funny getting a ticket as I was appealing one. Yeah, real funny.

Fortunately, my wait wasn't terribly long - about forty five minutes, which is kind of a drag, but I was out in time to avoid getting a ticket. While I waited, several of us related to each other what we were appealing and why. One woman told me, "I blew through a red light and didn't pull over for the cop right away. Oh, and I didn't have my license on me. My ticket was $400." I didn't ask how she planned on talking her way out of paying, but when she came out of the court room and reported that she has to pay the full amount, I wasn't terribly surprised. "The lady asked me if I blew through the stop sign. 'Hell yes, I blew through the stop sign!', I said." Yeah, that will usually get you out of a ticket.

After hearing her story and others, I felt confident I was going to get out of paying. In brief, I was pulled over for going 47 in a 35. I had been on a stretch of road that is basically a highway - the speed limit is 55 - and ends abruptly, hence the the changeover to 35 mph. I had been going the former speed limit and a few seconds after I saw the sign for 35, I was pulled over. I virtually had no time to slow down, short of slamming on my brakes.

The Judge had mercy on me. "Oh, I hate the Connector!", she said. "I'm saying you're not responsible." USA! USA! USA! I don't have to pay that damned ticket! And I'm not responsible, which means I drive as recklessly as I want with impunity. Nice!
--
I was all over the place today. I started my day at the ROD in Cambridge, drove to work afterward, where I stayed for a few minutes before hitting the road. I recorded in Lawrence, Lowell, and finished up in Nashua.

On my way to Nashua, a car pulled up beside me in the passing lane; the driver was trying to get my attention. I looked over and saw that it was Blake. That was the second time in as many months that I'd encountered him on the highway. The first time was on a different highway. Seeing him once was strange enough - Blake lives in NH and I live near Boston - but twice.... hmmm.

Even stranger, we ended up on the same street in Nashua. He didn't realize it and I followed him into the liquor store he entered. We talked a bit and when I left, I felt kind of weird, as if I had been stalking him or something, even though he had come upon me first.

A few minutes later in the ROD, I got a call from Scott. As I was telling him about running into
Blake on the highway, he said, "Oh my God : Brian Martin's behind me!" Brian pulled up alongside Scott's car and they figured out they were going to the same place miles away. That kind of day.
--
Haven't seen Ella too much since she moved in, but I did get to hang out with her a bit early last night. It's been interesting seeing the little signs that someone new is living with us. Little clues everywhere, like a foreign tube of tooth paste in the bathroom or a light turned on that is seldom so. So far, so good. The overall vibe of the place has noticeably lightened up.

Mara's been clingy of late. Understandable, considering she's in the throes of depression, but not entirely welcome. She called me last night while I was at the laundromat. She was crying and wanted to hang out. I had just come off a busy day - I worked, went to court, ran, and was presently doing laundry. I was looking forward to sitting down and decompressing and, needless to say, didn't have much enthusiasm as far as hanging out with Mara was concerned. I wish I did, but it's a draining, taxing, thing. My attitude is selfish and I am not proud of it, but I don't always have the energy necessary to deal with her. That said, what she's going through isn't a walk in the park. Not at all. I will try to be a better friend. I did, after all, tell her, that I'd be there for her.

Alright, then, I'm done with you. As you were.

No comments: