Friday, November 19, 2010

Marlena, under Foster Grants, is under cover from the dawn's advance

I saw Blake on the highway today. It was the third time in the last month or so. The odds are against these encounters; even just the one was fairly unlikely. Two and then three? High strangeness. Below is a list documenting my feelings about the matter.

1. It would be one thing if Blake and I ran into each other on the road at specific, set times, like at the end of a work day, but the timing has been random.

2. Today, on Rte 3, I came up behind him and knew it was him before I saw his face. I pulled up beside him and he acknowledged me at almost the exact same point as the time previous. And, like the last time, we got off at the same exit and ended up parking on the same street.

3. Blake and I live and work in different states.

4. I am perplexed at how and why this keeps happening.

5. I will not be surprised in the least if this happens again. Not in the least.

6. I wonder if the first time I encountered him on the highway provoked a response in my brain to be on the lookout for a repeat occurrence, kind of in the way one keeps seeing Honda Civics after having recently purchased one. Or maybe this is just some supernatural shit. They should make a movie about this. Let me rephrase that: no one anywhere at any time should even consider making a movie about this.

Listening to Sufjan Steven's latest, The Age of Adz. I heard it described as electro-orchestral in a review I just read and I think that's an apt description. When I saw him perform recently, I hadn't heard the album yet. He performed the whole thing and, now, as I listen to it, I'm even more impressed at how well he pulled it off live. It's his Kid A and it works.

I bought some guitar picks today, which marks the first time in years. At any given time, I'm liable to be forced to use my fingers because I can't find a pick. This isn't such a bad thing because I've become a formidable finger picker (say that ten times fast), but it's kind of a drag to have to tear my room apart looking for a pick when I need one. If I had been a Boy Scout in my youth, I'm sure I would always have picks handy. I can be so flaky. It's not like guitar picks are expensive or difficult to acquire; they're quite cheap and accessible. Yet, I go years without buying any. So now I have a bunch of picks and I almost feel like a glutton.

My phone needs a lobotomy, I think. It's acting like HAL in 2001. Oh, to have stuff last - wouldn't that be something!

The Celtics are on. I love this team.

I watched The Queen last night. I don't know if it was my state of mind, but I couldn't really get into it and was eager for it to end. On the contrary, I found myself thoroughly engaged in Taking Woodstock, a film I had only a slight bit of interest in when it was in theaters. It's been on cable recently, and I've spotted it every so often as I flip channels. As a general rule, I like to watch movies from beginning to end, so the fact that I've been transfixed every time I've come upon this one. I was impressed foremost with the relaxed pace. Nothing felt rushed. Everything looked and sounded authentic. I was pleased to learn that Ang Lee directed the movie. No wonder I was drawn to it. I'm definitely going to have to Netflix it.

It's chilly. If there was a way to abolish winter, I would. The other seasons I'm perfectly fine with.

On that note, I'm out this piece.

No comments: