Friday, September 10, 2010

What a dream I had

This may be my first two part post. Thrilling, I know. Let's begin.

Commentary

The first part of the dream is significant insofar as the location and the players involved. I'm going to gloss over it, however, because of who it involves and what it suggests. Better I keep it to myself. The threesome, while welcomed, is beyond my ken at this stage. I don't know what that was about.

Up until our privacy was interrupted by Mr. X (again, I'm not naming names), the dream had the feel of any other dream. Bounding through the woods, escaping my pursuers, had the air of familiarity about it, and for good reason: For quite a while now, the woods behind my parent's house (for all intents and purposes, that's where I was in this dream) have been a metaphor for my deeper self, my subconscious, if you will. It's always night in these dreams. Fitting for a journey to the depths of one's self.

In keeping with the format of these dreams, my journey through the woods brought me somewhere decidedly un-forested. I arrived at a barn situated on the rim of an ocean-sized plain. I recall peaking behind the barn and admiring the scene. It wasn't long before I was immersed in it.

My "friend" in the dream, the one I met at the barn, was nothing more than a guide. He was there waiting for me and without him, I would not have woken up within the dream, not have been able to make this journey. I wish I could remember what he did that changed my frequency, that woke me up, but it hasn't escaped me that the archetype of the guide and being given or fed something in order to travel from place to place is seen frequently throughout mythology.

Whatever was done to me worked. I was awake and in a very real, albeit foreign, place. I remember thinking that my pursuers would not be able to reach me here, even though I was only behind the barn heading into the wide open plain. I used the word frequency before and it is an apt descriptor. I seemed to be occupying the same space, but just in a different frequency.

I cannot adequately describe just how awake I was. I've "woken up" in dreams before - we all have. Usually, though, while being aware that we are dreaming, it is fleeting and we either wake up or fall back under the spell of the dream.

Here, I was fully awake, as awake and aware as I am right now, and for a sustained period of time. If I'm being redundant with this point it's only to stress how very conscious I was, how alive. I remember how incredulous I was that I was awake. I remember my guide laughing at my behavior, like I was a baby thrilled at taking his first steps. I said before that I felt like I was in a Van Gogh landscape and it was. Silvery night, lush and vivid. Gorgeous.

When I arrived back at the house, things felt like a dream again, only I was acutely aware that I was dreaming. If my alarm hadn't gone off as I was levitating, I believe the dream would have seduced me back into its maw.

I will not likely forget this dream. The next day I thought back to that great plain, lit by a mysterious moon, and longed to be back there. Our lives are filled with distractions, with the mundane, but the universe is vast beyond our comprehension and as much as we try, we can't keep it at bay.

One last thing. It occurred to me that in a recent post I wrote, in reference to another dream, that it beat being chased through the night by gun-toting hooligans. I'm not sure if the hooligans had guns, but I was most definitely being chased through the night by hooligans. Ah, I love cosmic humor.

No comments: