Tuesday, September 7, 2010

And my head told my heart, let love grow, but my heart told my head this time no

My mind is behind a day;I keep thinking it's Monday. This will work in my favor when Friday arrives and I think it's Thursday. Kind of like the alarm going off on a Saturday morning. "Oh, damn....Hey, wait a second - I don't have to get up!"

A general sense of uneasiness today, but it was overshadowed for the most part by the feeling of confidence I've had going for the last couple of weeks. In tandem with the uneasiness and confidence, I also had going a system-wide feeling of horniness today. In my travels, I came across some fine looking women (sigh). Everyone of them a reminder that I'm due for a good shagging or two or three or five. Fret not, ladies - and I'm referring to those of you read this here blog - I was discreet in my admiration. However, in the interest of full disclosure, I did get my flirt on at the registry in Nashua with Linda and a coworker of hers. They started it. I'm serious.

Cold shower, anyone?

Watched A Prophet last night. A great film. I always feel bad for people who won't give subtitled movies a chance; they're missing out on so much. This was a french film and I barely noticed the subtitles, it was so engaging. If you like prison dramas with a scope as epic as The Godfather, than I suggest you see this gem.

I've come to the conclusion that the depth of one's artistry can be determined by observing how flaky they are. In other words, if your life is in complete disarray, if you're always late and lack focus, if the word regimented brings about instant nausea, than you're a Redneck...er, pretty damn artistic, that is.

Here's the thing: the above, while probably true to some degree, is more about me looking for a cool reason as to why I have trouble keeping my affairs in order than anything else. Actually, I am pretty ordered, but probably way less than most people. I'm through with this tangent. Through, I tell ya!

I am about to watch some episodes of The Office: Season Six. First, I shall work on some music. Will lyrics flow out of me like a mountain stream after a thaw? I'll keep you posted.

Oh, Leigh, thanks for uploading some Mumford & Sons. I'd been kicking around the idea of picking up the album and now, after hearing two complete tracks, both really strong, I'm certain I will. They remind me a bit of Fleet Foxes. If you haven't checked them out, I suggest you do.

Goodnight you princes of Maine, you kings of new England.

2 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Kevin,
I am usually on time but lack focus (always). I'm artistic... who am I kidding we all know Im a redneck! lol Just kidding... its called ADD and according to the public school system, we all have it. ;) Ok seriously all kidding aside you are going to have to elaborate a little more on that section of your post.

I bought Mumford & Sons album after hearing Little Lion Man. I have to say that it was one of the best purchases I have EVER made, period. There isn't a song on there that I don't like. I love the melody and the lyrics are awesome. I am glad you liked it. Knowing we have similar taste (also a Rufus Wainwright fan) I actually thought about saying something to you about it last week when I bought it.

I think I checked out Fleet Foxes before (influenced by a previous post of yours, I believe(?))...

checking...

After reaffirming it via hypster, yep I liked em'(<-redneck term). He doesn't know why, English House, Mykonos are the songs I really liked. I have to admit I liked their live recordings better than some of their studio recordings.

Sometimes that little something extra is lost in the studio time, other artist need that kind of "editing". For sounds such as Mumford & Sons and Fleet Foxes, the rawness is part of the appeal for me.

Kevin said...

I'd been hearing Little Lion Man at work recently, but it didn't do too much for me, probably because I was listening to it on a little clock radio. When I went to the bachelor party recently, someone started playing the song on an acoustic, saying afterward how much he was into the album. I started noticing that people who bought the album were really into it. It wasn't until I checked out the songs you have up that I realized how much I liked the band. Just picked up the cd today and am ripping it to iTunes as I write this.

Good ol' ADD. I'm sure I'd be diagnosed with it if tested. I believe it exists, but I also believe that it's over diagnosed, especially with children. Anyway, I've noticed over the years that artistic, creative people tend not to live ordered, regimented lives. They're either slobs, frequently late, procrastinators, or all of the above. A general observation. It's not a hard and fast rule. I know more than a few people who fit the above description that aren't very artistic and I also know a few artistic people who are neat, on time, etc.

I think artistic people, whether they be painters, writers, musicians, or sculptors, often have their head in their clouds, the place where they get their ideas, and leave the affairs of everyday life on the back burner more often than not. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I know from experience how frustrating it can be. Guess it's a trade off.