Thursday, September 16, 2010

One way is Rome and the other way is Mecca, on either side of our motor bikes

Late, late, late, but I'm posting because I'm not yet ready for bed; I want to stay up as late as I can. Busy week. Tonight was spent up in NH at Shane and Jenni's rehearsal dinner. Janelle and I showed up to a good-sized group of people milling about in and out of the house. We were both hungry and when the food was brought out, we got to business post haste.

Some great music was played tonight. Plenty of musicians in attendance. Janelle and I performed Rufus Wainwright's "The Greek Song". It went well and was a good test run for tomorrow's performance. After that, I played a few of my own tunes, not as well as I would have preferred, but I enjoyed myself. It was cool having people playing along with me. Tonight was the closest I've come to the spirit of the movie Rachel Getting Married - lots of music with a communal vibe. If I ever get married, I want plenty of music. Rachel Getting Married is worth seeing just for the music.

I've finally arrived at the conclusion, after giving it serious thought, that the greatest comedy to ever appear on television is The Office (UK). I didn't initially believe so. It took repeated viewings over the years to fully grasp the brilliance of the show. Watching it recently, I marveled at how perfectly crafted every episode is. Not an ounce of fat anywhere; no weak spots. It's a bold statement saying this is the best comedy ever, especially when you've got some heavy hitters like Seinfeld and The Office (US) to contend with. I'm satisfied with my decision though. The Office (UK) did everything right. It only aired two seasons, even though it wasn't anywhere near jumping the shark. Left on a high note, with integrity. It also never strayed from its truth. It never slipped into slapstick land, never became broad. Even the best comedies were guilty of that. Anyway, I could go on, but I won't because I'm sleepy.

Must end this. The wedding is tomorrow. Car issues and other impediments to smooth sailing won't get the better of me. I'm hoping for a good weekend. It'll start off great, I know that. One of my good friends is getting married. I'm glad I'll be there to bear witness.

No comments: