Friday, September 24, 2010

At times I see you, you silver rider, sometimes your voice is not enough

Kind of a shitty week, but I think I've handled it pretty well. I'm understanding, and, for the most part, applying, the importance of staying in the moment, being alert, not letting thoughts run rampant. To get by in this world, it's a fortunate thing to favor bending over breaking. Staying flexible got me by.

What caused this week to be shitty? Well, you can chalk it up to several unsavory things manifesting almost at once. Computer troubles, money troubles, weird social hiccups, and a welter of small, gnat-like, troubles that in concert became a formidable foe. Felt like I was on the precipice of complete disaster, still does a bit, but, as I said, I was flexible throughout

Listening to Inara George's collaboration with Van Dyke Parks. Beautiful, sophisticated, highly listenable. Parks is one of my all-time favorite composers. Anytime I hear about him scoring an album, especially if it's an artist or band I already like, I check it out in short order. His work with The Beach Boys, Joanna Newsom, Rufus Wainwright, and his solo work has been nothing short of brilliant. And Inara, being the daughter of Lowell George, has the pedigree, not to mention the chops, to keep up with Van Dyke. And, keeping it in the family, I've been listening to Little Feat's Sailing Shoes.

Also been listening to Robert Plant's Band of Joy. Was impressed with his collaboration with Allison Krauss and am no less so with this album. And then there's The Roches. Love them! Can't believe it took me this long to discover them. Three sisters combining folk, barbershop, shades of punk, and pop. An interesting cocktail and it works. Their first album is fantastic. It's fun - a lot of the lyrics are about everyday things like wishing you had your old job back, even though you hated it.
-
Rich is finally moving out. He told me last weekend. Moving to Colorado. I'm glad he's moving, for everyone's sake. Janelle and I had just been talking about how difficult it's been living with him. Lately, he's been particularly withdrawn and negative and has a couple of tantrums. That, coupled with the fact that he barely, if at all, contributes to the upkeep of the house, had him on the chopping block. I'm glad we didn't have to kick him out. He's not an evil guy, just troubled, and it would not have been enjoyable asking him to leave. I'll have to write a retrospective of my time living with Rich. I can assure you that it will be interesting. He's an odd dude. In the meantime, we need to start looking for a roommate.
-
The season premier of Dexter is on tonight. Will have to order the channel. Might have Pat and Allie come by to watch. Maybe Spira, too. After plowing through the dvds of the last season, I'm ready to dive back in. Been watching season 3 of Mad Men. I don't think I say a bad thing about that show. It's so well done; I savor every scene like a fine wine.

With that, I should get my day started. Might see what Mara is up to, but will probably putter around and work on some music. Who knows.

5 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Sorry to hear of your week. Does it not seem like when there is one thing bad... it just spirals... why cant goodness come like that???

I hope it gets better hun... good luck with the roommate hunt. :)

Kevin said...

Thanks, Leigh. Things do have a tendency to spiral, but so far it's all been manageable. The roommate hunt should be interesting. Hopefully we get someone compatible.

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Good to hear! Are you feeling better?
And where is Kate!?!?!? I miss her!

Kate said...

Aww...that is so sweet, Leigh! I am glad that somebody misses me! I have not been having the best week myself but I am trying to remain hopeful. I am actually working on something right now but my moral comes and goes in terms of writing. I must admit it is not that I don't have stuff to write about it is just that I don't always feel like getting into it in this medium because I am afraid that it will become a monster that will just take over and I will never get anything published! But, I will work on that.

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Awe Kate what a Bummer! I hope your week looks better soon. And I know exactly what you mean about the writing> ;) No worries sometimes we all need to take a breather.