Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My sister and her boyfriend slept in the park, had to leave home because he was dark, now they parade around in New York with a baby boy

How exquisite is Nick Drake's music? Very exquisite, I say unto you. Listening to Bryter Layter as I type. So good. I don't know why, but some music is so dear to me that I prevent myself from listening to it sometimes. I've talked to Scott about this before and he's experienced the same thing. Maybe some music is like a good bottle of scotch that's saved for special occasions. Or something like that. No special occasion to report here, but yet I'm listening away to Mr. Drake. Oh well, let's move on.

Last night, I read this from Eckhart Tolle:

If you were not familiar with our contemporary civilization, if you had come here from another age or another planet, one of the things that would amaze you it that millions of people love and pay money to watch humans kill and inflict pain on each other and call it "entertainment".

He goes on to explain that it is our pain-body, the part of us that feeds off of and creates negative energy that fuels our addiction to unhappiness, which in this case is manifested in our attraction to violent media. Then he adds:

Is it always "wrong" to show and watch violence on television and cinema screen? If films show violence in its wider context, if they show its origin and its consequences, show what it does to the victim as well as the perpetrator, show the collective unconsciousness that lies behind it and is passed on from generation to generation, then those films can fulfill a vital function in the awakening of humanity.

Come and See is a film that does all of the above. After watching it again the other night, it struck me how many films are pro violence. Try this as an exercise: name the last movie you saw that didn't have a gun or some kind of weapon featured in it. Go ahead try. Come and See walks you through the horrors and consequences of war, the absolute evil of it. It serves as a reminder that violence is ugly and hardly sexy. Reading Tolle's thoughts on the matter put things further into perspective.

Had a dream last night that I was staying at a hotel the night before a friend's wedding. Everyone in the wedding was staying there and the climate was like that of a college dorm. Everyone was venturing from room to room hanging out and partying. Early on in the night I had met a young and attractive woman. She had an air of mischief about her, which I liked, and was always with a female friend of hers.

It became apparent she was into me. That was good, because I felt the same way about her. I was cautious, though: here was a young, very pretty woman who could be with any guy she wanted. I figured her interest would be fleeting at best. She kept coming around though. Even when everyone left to attend a party in someone's room on another floor and I was left behind. She came and got me and we headed to the party. Then I woke up. The dream probably had a little to do with the fact that I had just watched the episode of The Office where Jim and Pam get married. Still, a fine dream. Better than being chased through the night by gun-toting hooligans.

Okay, I'm done with you. The night's a blank canvas. What shall I do? Hmm....

8 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Interesting post. I really couldn't remember the last thing I watched (movie or on tv) but then I remembered that I had a True Blood addiction a while back. (Lame I know) I have to say Tolle is right...

There are the types of violent movies, the ones that encourage people to live out that bad ass alter ego or the films that do try to show humanity from such violence. But I have never been able to make the determination until after I have already watched the movie. ;)

Kevin said...

Over the years, my response to violence in TV and movies has lessened quite a bit. I used to get a rush when the hero would shoot and kill the bad guys or just beat 'em up karate style. To a degree, I still do - there's something of a thrill ride aspect to some fight scenes; you're white knuckling it throughout, but you're aware everything will work out, or at the very least what you're viewing isn't real.

These days, most action films fall flat for me. I don't get off on the violence, in fact it turns me off. I admit there are still times I get a rush during a good fight or battle scene, but it's not the same. I hope that means I'm evolving.

Maybe not. I am after all, knee deep in season four of Dexter, a show about a serial killer. So, we'll see.

p.s. I've only heard good things about True Blood and if I continue to, I may end up watching.

Kate said...

You know it's funny, I liked Nick Drake before I even knew it! LOL! What I mean is that I had heard some of his stuff and I didn't know who he was but what I had heard really appealed to me! His style of music is definitely right up my alley; beautiful! To use the word exquisite to describe it is exactly right!

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

The series is as funny as it is gory. I rented the 1st and 2nd season on netflix... I also liked Shawn of the Dead but you couldn't pay me to watch "real" scary movie. lol

Kevin said...

Glad you enjoy his music, Kate. I remember the day I heard his song Pink Moon on a Jeep commercial, I almost walked into a wall. Such a strange, unlikely, thing, but there it was. Ah, times are changing. Too bad he didn't get much recognition while he was alive. Of course, he wasn't really seeking it, but that's another story.

Kate said...

Here we go again with long threads but I feel the need to respond to your response to my comment, Kevin. ;)

Until now, I didn’t know that the song was called Pink Moon and I certainly did not know that it was by Nick Drake until Sunday night when Kreg played it for me in his car. I'll bet that the first time that I ever heard it was in that very same Jeep commercial and I guarantee you that when I heard it I thought that it was a more current song. I probably thought that it was this other guy by the name of Alexi Murdoch whose music definitely reminds me of Nick Drake. (I don't mean to put thoughts in your head or words in your mouth but I am afraid that you might say that you've heard Alexi Murdoch and that he sounds nothing like Drake or that he is a poor imitation of Drake but again perhaps I am wrong?) I am relatively certain that you've heard at least one of his songs entitled "Orange Sky"?

Kevin said...

Kate, I have heard "Orange Sky" and the Nick Drake influence is very strong on that song. I haven't heard anything else by him, though. Didn't know Craig was a Nick Drake fan. I guess I'll have to put off my plans to murder him.

Kate said...

Well see, I guess you can know someone for a hundred years and still learn something new about them. I was pretty sure that when it comes to music that if it isn't Bono singing Kreg would have none of it!

Just so you know, I don't have bail money to spring you from the clink. I guess you will have to continue to put up with your arch nemesis and the incessant U2!