Wednesday, July 29, 2009

To bring you my love

I'm a little irked with Netflix. This is an unfortunate development, and one I hope to get past soon. I've been a big fan of the site; any issues I've had, and they've been few, were handled promptly and to my satisfaction . If I have to have an Et tu Brute moment with them.... well, that would just suck. But, I don't think that will happen, and if it does, I won't be too surprised; I live and breath on this planet we call Earth, and, despite my pure heart, am hardwired to be cynical.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Netflix, ordinarily prompt with deliveries, has, in the last couple of weeks, been dragging their asses. Usually, there's a two day gap between my returning a DVD and them shipping me a new one. Lately it's been three or four days. If the trend continues, I may have to reconsider where I rent my DVDs. You've pulled through for me in the past, Netflix, my old friend, and I have faith you will continue to do so. Don't let me down! I need my steady diet of Six Feet Under.
--
Finished Bakker's The Judging Eye last night. Wow, what a read! He is the Lebron James of writing. If he has a weakness as a writer, it's beyond me. Can't wait for the next installment.

About three quarters of the way through Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. A wonderful, yet tragic read. The betrayals, the slow and steady extermination, the reckless maltreatment of nature -- what our forefathers did to the Native Americans makes me sick. We came upon them like a cancer and devoured their territories, their traditions, their lives.

Our country was built on lies, murder, and excess. The plight of the Native Americans is our dark scar, the black secret we don't even whisper about. I suspect there will be a reckoning -- how could there not be? Our land is bloated with tumors, thick with hubris. Our leaders, reptilian. A reckoning, indeed.

I started reading Follet's Pillars of the Earth last night. It's a massive book, I barely put a dent into it. I suspect I'll be reading that one for a while. So far, so good, though. I can tell already it's going to be a good read.
--
This blog will soon receive its ten thousandth visit. We'll have to celebrate. Hmm, what shall we do? Maybe a retrospective of some sort? Oh, I know: how about for one post I let 'er rip and dish about my friends, sharing all their dirty laundry and riffing about all the things they do that piss me off? You'd like that, huh? Alright, let me think on it.

Off to work on some music.

No comments: