Monday, July 6, 2009

The band is playing our song again, and all the world is green

Back to work today. I was itching for the day to end so I could enjoy the nice weather and play Frisbee with someone. The powers that be bought me lunch for my birthday, which was nice. Even though we get it all the time when they buy us lunch, I decided on Bertucci's, who make the best roasted vegetable pizza I've had in the last twelve thousand days. It was, how should I say, yummy!

I called Mara when I got out of work to see if she wanted to play Frisbee with me. She obliged.I kind of figured she would, because she loves the activity. We went to the park adjacent to the dog park by Union Square.

I consider myself adept at Frisbee, but when I played on the fourth, my mojo had vanished. My performance was shameful. Having mostly returned to form at Spira's yesterday, I was anxious to test my skills today. The verdict? I'm back, son! And you know what? Mara's pretty good, too. She told me her father made sure his kids were able to do two things well: shoot a basketball and toss a Frisbee. Most Jews play Frisbee, she added.

"Frisbee's a Jew sport? Is that what you're telling me?"

"It is."

"I resent that. I'm Irish and I bet I played Frisbee as much or more than you and the rest of your tribe," I said. "How dare you claim the sport as your own?"

"Okay, maybe it's more of a New York Jew type of thing."

"Alright, I'll take your word for it, but if I find myself at a Jewish function in Central Park some day and I don't see Frisbees flying around, I'm coming after you."

It was a fun time. It stinks that I can't give Mara what she wants, at least not presently, because she's one of the only people, besides family, who's really in my corner. Or, to be more specific, one of the only people who's taken an active interest in my life. My friends are still my friends, but they have their own lives to contend with, their own concerns.

Rasheed Wallace is now a Boston Celtic! I, for one, am thrilled at the news, though some of the local sports luminaries are not. They think he's a cancer, a selfish, lazy, loudmouth. He is a loudmouth on the court and he gets a bunch of technical fouls, but he's a great player and the C's are much improved with his addition. Next up: Grant Hill. Can we get him? Yes the answer is yes.

Ok, from what I gather from Luke Warm about the rumble on the fourth, Mike, and his lady, were the only ones throwing down. Luke Warm did acknowledge that everything was chaos and it was tough making out who the combatants were, but the only ones he knew were fighting for sure, were those two. Everyone else, including the Yeti, it seems, were trying to stop the fight. If this is true, then everyone, except of course, Mike and his lady, should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. Am I to understand that the likes of The Kremlin, The Yeti, and Rock and Roll didn't engage the enemy in brutal solidarity, but rather called for an end to the fighting like Swiss diplomats? Has the world turned upside down? Has no one seen the Outsiders? You only get one or two Outsiders moments in a life time. They missed a big opportunity. Anyway, that's my two cents. And, for what it's worth, I would have gone off and hid in the bushes when the fighting began, shaking like a fawn and peeing myself. Oh, I can't fool you. You know I would have been in the middle of things, howling and committing savage acts upon my fellow man, my blood lust overwhelming and blacker than Lucifer's soul.

Ok, gotta go do what I dooz.

No comments: