Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I will sit right down, waiting for the gift of sound and vision

Just awoke from a nap. I need it after the trying day I had. It began with my car barely turning over, a problem that had been steadily growing worse over the last couple of weeks. Wheeze, wheeze, wheeze, it went, until, finally, it started. I knew I was going to have to address the problem sooner or later. Sooner, as it turned out.

I had some recording to do at the Boston and Cambridge registries, so I parked at Spira's and walked over to Lechmere Station to get on the T. As it happened, the Green line wasn't operational, but, fortunately, there were shuttle buses running its route. In Boston, I slogged through the rain and puddles and did my business. While in the registry, I saw a strong featured, black haired, young woman that caught my eye. I caught her eye, too, it seemed; every so often I caught her stealing glances in my direction. But there was work to be done, so I made my way back out into the rain and headed back to Cambridge.

Not before being re-routed back onto another shuttle bus at North Station. This time, the bus was packed to the gills. It quickly became a sweltering affair; the windows steamed up and breathing was a chore. Fortunately, the AC kicked in a mile or two into the trip.

Back in Cambridge, I hit the registry and spotted my black haired beauty. She must have left Boston about the same time I did. Was this a sign that I should talk to her? Perhaps, but my plate was full and I was eager to get out of there.

When I was through, I headed back to my car, again through the rain. At one point, I slipped and fell on top of the bag I was carrying. In addition to the documents I had just recorded, I had my lunch, which consisted of a banana and a cup of yogurt, in the bag. I stood up, my right side drenched from head to toe, and inspected the damage. Yup, yogurt and banana completely fubar. A big mess.

Got to my car and, guess what? It wouldn't turn over. I had a feeling. Fortunately, Spira was home and I was able to use her place as mission control while I made calls to work and Triple A. To make matters more interesting, my phone was about ready to die and I didn't have a charger with me.

Triple A arrived about an hour after I called them. The driver tried jumping my battery to no avail. He quickly determined my starter had gone. I could have told him that and I'm hardly the mechanic. Because he arrived in a pickup, he had to call in a tow truck. Another hour wait.

I won't get into what happened with the second driver, except to say it was a frustrating experience. Spira drove me home after my car was towed and I'm just now starting to feel dry again after so much time in the rain. And, yes, I did have an umbrella, but for reasons I don't care to get into, I didn't have it handy when I needed it most.

So, hopefully this repair won't break the bank. It would be nice for a change to spend less then seven hundred dollars.
--
Camping was fun this weekend. It was great seeing everyone, if only for one night. We had two encounters with a bear. The first occurred when we were all sitting around the fire at night. Baby Boy Z started barking suddenly and jetted off into the woods. We all got up to see what the ruckus was about. Brad went after BBZ and, before he got far, saw a bear bounding off deeper into the woods. Baby Boy Z, despite all his antics over the course of the trip, was the hero that night.

I slept through the second incident, mostly because the tent I was sharing with Janelle was away from the camp proper. This time, people were awakened by the sound of the bear nudging Rachael and Mike's cooler towards the woods. Rachael scared it off by yelling at it.

I miss all the fun.

I fell in love with Rachael and Mike's greyhound, Stella. She is so calm and graceful and sweet. I spent as much time as I could with her. Rachael said I can borrow her for a week some time. I would like that very much. I did have to have a sit down with Baby Boy Z to let him know I still loved him.

"Yo, B, don't worry. We tight, braw. We tight! We BFFs till we die, son!", I said to him. I think that made him feel better.

And, speaking of feeling better, I think a hot shower, some coffee, and The Judging Eye, are calling my name.

4 comments:

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

Hey Kevin this is the first time since I began reading your blog that I ACTUALLY had to look up a word that I didn't know. I usually consider myself to be someone who has a pretty good vocabulary but this time I was stumped! However, I wonder if you can figure out what word I am talking about...?

Kevin said...

Hmm.. umbrella? C'mon, Kate, you know what an umbrella is!

For reals, I'm going to guess fubar, which, as you must know, is an acronym. Did I guess correctly?

Kate said...

Yes you got it! I am not sure how that escaped my knowing because it is a good way to disguise an F-Bomb in polite company! I will be sure to implement it when the need arises! My cousin is full of those and they must come in handy now that she has 3 children almost...
I must have somehow missed that one in the Urban Dictionary. I am sure I am not the last person to become aware of that particular modern acronym but I could be close!