Wednesday, October 31, 2007

In my dreams it's still the same

I just re-read my post from yesterday and it appears as if I had some major conflicts over the weekend. I didn't. To be sure, all was not well, but what went down was something more subtle, and not easy to grasp. Hence why I abandoned the earlier post-- it just wasn't worth it in the end. Oh, well . Sometimes what's in my head and what I type are not congruent. It happens.



It's Halloween today and I think, for the second year in a row, we won't be giving out candy at my place. Last year, I was unemployed and poor and didn't want to spend the money, even though it would have put me out only a few dollars. This year, I have a job, but still am not of a mind to engage in the festivities. Am I a party pooper? I guess I am. At least in the sense that I won't be catering to begging children who have to hide their shame under their costumes. I used to love Halloween, but I've since become a lifeless old fart. At least I won't be giving out apples. I used to hate it when people would hand out fruit. What a slap in the face to the begging children!



I'm looking to buy some recording gear. I'll have to do it on the cheap because most of my money is accounted for. That's ok, I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I do, however, need something more capable than my antiquated 4-track, with it's loose connections and dependance on tapes. Thankfully, there's a welter of great and affordable recording gear out there and I don't think I'll have to spend much. In fact, I have some stuff I can trade in, to help with the cost. Soon I won't have to depend on other people's equipment.



The Red Sox. Let me state for the record that, even though I didn't watch all of the playoffs, I was still impressed with the games. I admire the depth of baseball, how intricate it is. I just can't rationalize devoting 3-4 hours every other night to watching it. As much as I respect the game, the fanaticism that surrounds it, especially in Boston, is a little nauseating. If I have to hear someone substite "Go Sox" for "goodbye" or "see you later' again, I think I'll disembowel myself. How is saying "Go Sox" going to help the team? It's not, but people say it anyway, because they're in the grip of the team's cultish aspects. Think I'm kidding? I don't see much of a distinction between your run of the mill cult---and I'm not talking about the extreme ones where people end up killing themselves for their leader---and the Red Sox. I was talking to someone the other day who told me they weren't that into the team. I never would have guessed it, judging by all the Red Sox advertising he had draped over his body. From top to bottom, this person was a walking billboard. I wonder to what level he'd take it if he was really into the team. At lunch yesterday, I saw a bit of the homecoming, or "rolling rally", as they call it, on tv. The newschopper was following the progress of the team's bus as if it was the biggest story in the last twenty years. I guess to many, it was.

I don't mean to put down Sox fans, who are a rabid lot and would plunge a bat up my rectum if they felt slighted. I'm just using this particular team and sport as an example. People are insane about soccer, football, etc. I'm fully aware of this. But, damn, I'm in the midst of Red Sox Nation and the hysteria around it is disconcerting, especially to someone like me a, God forbid, casual fan. So, cheers to the Sox taking it all, and an even bigger cheers to the small window of time when there will be a break from the madness

Go Sox!!!

No comments: