Wednesday, October 17, 2007

For the gag, and the bind, and the ammunition round

There was an unexpected result to a prank I pulled at work last week. I had put a picture of a muscular guy in speedos that I ripped from some ad in a magazine and hung it in the warehouse bathroom. The reason I did this, to elaborate on the obvious, was because the guys out back carry themselves as ardent heterosexuals and to illustrate this, the bathroom is laden with issues of Maxim and Stuff magazine. I expected the photo I hung up to be taken down immediately, accompanied by a good measure of outrage.


What I received instead was silence. After a day had passed, I checked the bathroom to see if the picture was still there. It was right above the toilet where I left it. Another day had passed and nothing changed. I wondered if somehow it escaped everyone's attention, even though it was displayed prominently. No, I thought, they must have seen it, but why was it still up? And where was the outrage?


I finally decided to conduct an inquiry. I waited until someone made a comment declaring their manliness, which predictably didn't take too long, and then I pounced. It was Larry who made the comment--I can't recall what it was, but it was probably pretty ridiculous--and I responded with something like "If you're so macho, then why do you have that picture of a scantily clad man hanging up in the bathroom?"


"Oh yeah, I was wondering about that! Who the hell put that up? I saw that the other day."

Al, who was in the room, asked what Larry what he was talking about.

"You mean you haven't seen that picture? How could you miss it? The damn thing's eye level when you take a piss!"

Al played dumb and didn't seem to care one way or another if the picture remained hanging or if it was taken down. Hmmm........

Well, it's been about a week now and the man in the speedos remains at his post, watching over the bathroom like a gargoyle. I'm curious to know what would happen if I put up another photo like the last one. I bet it would provoke a mass outing.
--

The Celtics are playing their first game at the Garden with their new lineup. So far they are dominating the Knicks and, after the misery that was last season, I'm stunned at how improved they are. Not only are they an improved team, they are an elite team. It's only preseason, but I can say that. When you have Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen playing on the same team, your status automatically elite. The intensity is there, the kinship is there, the great playmaking is in full effect. Yes, it's going to be a great year.

No comments: