Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Tomorrow never knows

At work this past Saturday, a woman came in with a guy to rent some tables and chairs for a party they were throwing that day. My mechanic, Bill, was with me when they arrived and I knew immediately I'd have to keep him in check. The girl was attractive and it didn't hurt that she was wearing tight jeans and an equally tight t-shirt. Bill is in his fifties but, after years of hard living, looks like he's in his sixties, so when he tries to flirt with the women that come in our shop, it comes off as pretty damn old-man- creepy. Usually, he doesn't cross the line, but he makes sure he's right on the edge of it.

It was apparent that Bill was very into this particular woman given the amount of flirting he was doing. Fortunately, he didn't take it too far and fortunately the girl was good natured enough to take his flirting with a grain of salt. After she left, Bill kept coming over to me to tell me he couldn't get her out of his mind. "Man, she had the nicest body I've seen in a long time", he said. I didn't disagree with him---she was most definitely a pleasure to look at. However, she utterly enchanted Bill, and I found the whole thing utterly amusing. Even at the end of the day, he brought her up, reliving every minute of her time here. Yes, Bill was smitten.

Yesterday, she came back to return our stuff. She told me she had seen me out walking the day before (I was getting my car) and I asked her if she lived in the area. Turns out, she lives two houses away from me. The party that she had rented the tables and chairs for was in her backyard. I told her I could see the festivities from my bedroom window as I was getting ready to head out.

Throughout our conversation, I gradually came to the conclusion she was flirting with me. The conclusion was not set in set in stone, however---I've been off the mark more times than I'd care to admit---but still, there we were having a good conversation. It ended with me telling her I'd probably see her around. She smiled and replied "maybe tomorrow".

I can't wait to tell Bill about this. He'll probably invite himself over my house now. Maybe I should reconsider telling him. Anyway, I'm not inclined to go after every woman who talks to me (and there are many, dear readers), but I do like the fact that this particular woman lives only twenty ft. away from me (I measured). And the jealously it would inspire in Bill if I ended up with her is almost enough motivation for me to ask her out. I'll keep you posted if anything comes of it.
--

No comments: