Monday, April 30, 2007

Too young to die, too drunk to live

I woke up too early this morning. I had the day off and would have liked to stay in bed, worry free, but my mind was occupied with the grim thought that my license may be suspended because of unpaid parking tickets. The reason it was on my mind was because at breakfast yesterday, Michael, Luke Warm's housemate, was telling us about how his license was just suspended because of unpaid tickets. Hearing that left me half convinced mine was too; I've certainly amassed plenty of parking tickets thorughout my tenure in Somerville, and according to Michael, the criteria for having one's license suspended has changed recently and all it takes is a few unpaid parking tickets.

So, I got out of bed and walked to Davis Sq. in the rain to pay my tickets and find out if I still had an active license. Turns out I do, much to my relief, but I didn't have enough cash in my wallet to pay the tickets, which amounted to almost three hundred dollars (I had my checkbook in hand, but they wanted cash money) I walked to the corner store to get the cash from their ATM, but it wouldn't fork over the cash. So I said "screw it" and went and got my car inspected, instead.

I went to Trader Joe's later in the morning and stocked up on some goodies. I bought two boxes of Quinoa (not sure about the spelling, but it's pronounced keen-wa). The lovely and talented Janelle had exposed me to the delicious South American grain a few months ago and it was positively delicious. In it's raw form, the stuff looks like bird seed, but when boiled it expands and gets puffy. And it yields a ton. I've been eating a lot of it this week and I'm still on my first box. Ahh, Janelle, you always show me something new. What a dear friend you are.

Amazing Warriors/Mavericks game last night! Baron Davis led his underdog team to another victory over the heavily favored Mav's , putting them up 3-1 in the series. The Mav's have never come back from that deficit in the playoffs before. If the Warriors pull this off, they will be one of the great stories in this year's playoffs.

Back to work tomorrow. I think I could stand one more day off, but what are you going to do.

No comments: