Sunday, April 22, 2007

There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high

I think I needed that sabbatical. I hope the monster clip tided you over. I have to admit, I've watched it at least thirty times and it has not gotten old; in fact, with each new viewing I'm discovering more and more of its hidden treasures. I've got to figure out what movie that clip is from, because it could very well become my favorite movie of all time.

So what have I been up to? I've been pretty busy with work, finding a roommate, helping Spira with her move, and trying to maintain my sanity. Last week found me particularly unhinged and all I craved was to be left alone. My mind was fried from work---we were shorthanded all week--and all I wanted to do when I got home was to decompress with a book or a movie and get as much distance between me and the job as I could. I was just tired. Never, throughout it all, did I feel depressed or any of that stuff; just weary. I was ill-tempered only when my free time, or what I hoped was to be my free time, was sanctioned by others. My days off last week consisted of helping Spira move, doing my taxes, going to my parents, interviewing roommates, and listening to Bob TV preach his gospel, and by that I mean listening to him go on and on about a variety of issues. Not anything to slit my wrists over, but added together, these activities became a black bulk on my shoulders and took me away from my need to rest and regroup. But...

But, I'm on the up and up, and feel re-energized. The weather is finally displaying its long-delayed majesty, I have the abode to myself for a few days, well at least mostly---BobTv is in Nashville, but Spira is still here a lot packing her stuff--and I have today and tomorrow off from work. And we have a new roommate, thank god.

Last Sunday, Bob TV and I interviewed our last candidate. We had narrowed our choices to down to a guy named Rich, and decided we should talk to one more person before making our final decision. So we met with Michael, a nice guy currently living in JP, and when he left, Bob TV and I decided, after a few hours of deliberation, that he was our guy. Bob TV called him and offered him the room. He accepted. All that was left was for him to give Bob TV the rent money and we were good to go.

A few days later, Michael called Bob TV and bailed out. For the entire day, Bob TV was frantic: he had taken our ad down and had already emailed Rich, telling him thanks, but we're all set. By some stroke of luck, I was ignorant of what had transpired, despite the fact that Bob TV had left me a voicemail and sent me an email about what happened. I just never got around to checking them, and later, when Bob TV came home from work all wound up, I was contentedly making my dinner. Maybe a half hour later, Bob TV received a call from Rich--he had left him a voice mail earlier, offering him the place-- and that was that. Rich accepted and all was good again. So, any torment I went through over the matter, lasted less than an hour. Thank God!
--

Spira and I had a nice time together last night. We went to Trader Joe's in Cambridge and were in heaven. Trader Joe's is one of the only store, besides Newbury Comics, that brings out the "kid in a candy shop" in me. We bought all sorts of goodies: sushi, some magnificent pea pod crisps, pad thai, jarlsberg cheese, cinnamon-chocolate cookies, multi-grain waffles, shrimp pot-stickers, some Trader Joe's Very Green juice, and more. The only thing they didn't have, much to my chagrin, was their spinach-tofu egg rolls. I became addicted to them a couple of years ago and one day when I was hanging out with my friends,Mary and Brianna, I discovered that they were, too. So what did we do about it? Well, we turned the oven on and plopped some of those egg rolls inside it. And when they were cooked? Well, you'd be right if you guessed that we ate them with mirth. Anyway, Trader Joe's is always, always, the place to be.

And now, the place for me to be is somewhere else. I'm going to clean the couch with the steam cleaner that Spira brought by the house to clean her carpet with. Then I'm going to go to the book store in Porter Sq. and perhaps, I'm not sure of the likelihood of this happening, but perhaps I may meet up with Pat, Ally, and Spira, for some breakfast. Actually, considering the fact that I just finished breakfast an hour ago, I most definitely will not be meeting them for breakfast. Maybe I just brought that up so I could name-drop. Wouldn't be the first time.

2 comments:

Sun Wu Kung said...

I have also watched that video countless times. I'm impressed by the yeti actor's attempt to make the running motion look unhuman.

I mailed it to Patrick the Swedish Philosopher, who is convinced that the footage is real and that the yeti problem is a serious one. He adds, "and yet out government does nothing about it."

Anyway, I could probably talk about that clip for hours.

Kevin said...

I'm also impressed with the yeti's running motion. No careful stalking for him--right out of the woods and he's running like a mad man.

Patrick is 100% correct. I fear it may be too late to stop the yeti.