Monday, April 2, 2007

God's away on business

My bed has a leak in it and I need a new one. I'll explain. Before I moved to Somerville, I gave my queen-sized bed to my cousin because it was to big for my room. I was working at The Healthy Back store at the time and got incredible discounts on Tempurpedic, and other like beds, so I figured I'd get a new one when I moved. I had just committed to moving in with Spira and Bob TV when the powers that be closed the store. So no bed. I borrowed my parents air mattress and it's served me well enough for the months I used it. A few days ago, I woke up much closer to the floor than I should have been. The mattress had deflated slowly while I slept. I pumped it back up later that night and once again, I woke up with it shriveled up under me like a popped balloon baking in the Sun. I'm shopping for a new bed because this fucker needs a good nights sleep.

Speaking of sleep, I'm spent after helping out with deliveries at work today. We went all over Boston and Cambridge, and got back to the shop pretty late. That's as much as I want to talk about work right now.

The other night I woke up after a disturbing dream and couldn't fall back asleep for awhile. In the dream, my mother was on the phone telling me that my father had taken ill suddenly and was dying. I think it was cancer, but I can't remember. It spooked me and the thought hit me that, provided I'm still around, I will get a call like that someday. I lied in bed, misty eyed and worn down with the inevitability of things. More than ever, I felt connected to the swift current of life and I felt small within it.

Tonight I called my mother and she told me my father suddenly became sick today. He was coming upstairs from the basement and felt lightheaded. He needed to sit down. Then he vomited. My mother said she's never seen him like that, but feels it's probably just a bug that's going around. I hope she's right.

Bob TV and I discussed our course of action regarding getting a new roommate in the house by May. We were united in the belief that above all things, we want our next roommate to be laid back, domesticated, able to pay rent, and enjoy long walks on the beach. Now comes the part where we interview potential candidates. A tricky task, to be sure--even with people you know, it's always tough to determine whether you'll be compatible as housemates-- but I'm confident we'll find a good fit. If not, whatever--- I'll just stay in my room and do what I do, which is none of your god-damned business!

No comments: