Thursday, April 5, 2007

I smoke my friends down to the filter

There's not much to say, except it's been a satisfying couple of nights coming home, sitting back, and just plain listening to one of the most essential records I've ever heard, Orphans, by Tom Waits. Tonight, I'm relaxing to Bawlers, the second disc of a three disc set. As the title suggests, this one's got the ballads. I was going to say thank God for simple pleasures, but the pleasure is well beyond simple; it's transcendent. The production is clear and crisp and he's just doing everything right, especially with the vocals.

That's all I've got tonight. I feel the need to dive into a book and stay under its spell for as long as I can get away with. Ah, but then there's Fitzcarraldo. If I'm to keep my Herzog streak alive, I should probably watch some of it. A great film, but one of his longer ones. I'll have to chip away at it over the course of a few nights.

But all that will have to wait a little bit longer, because Tom isn't through blowing my mind yet.

No comments: