Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Living on a jet, making love with someone else's dream

Hello, loves. Or lovers, if that's what you prefer to be called. A short post, but I'll be sharing something from Portia Nelson, so it won't be that short after all.

Yesterday was a trying day for me. Deep and real concerns came at me from different angles. And some weird and unlikely annoyances cropped up, too, which led to me wonder if the Universe was taking advantage of April Fool's Day. I didn't find any of it very funny and at times it felt like piling on., but hey, if you want muscles, you've got to lift some weights. As challenging as things can be in life, I'm aware that they are all of them opportunities for growth.

Throughout it all, though, I remained steady and present minus a few brief moments of worry and panic. Mostly I felt an unshakable serenity. It was powerful. I don't think I've ever experienced such a palpable reaping of the benefits of yoga and meditation. It also didn't hurt that I've been formulating goals heavy with momentum and consequently a feeling optimistic and, dare I say it, enthusiastic.

A handy mantra:

I am powerful. I am on purpose. 

--

After work today, I practiced to a vinyasa sequence by Janet Stone, one of my new favorite yoga instructors, that I found on YouTube. I watched the video a couple of times and then gave it a shot. Much of it kicked my ass (there was one part I couldn't even bluff my way through). One thing I love about yoga is that you're always learning. There's a saying that the only students in yoga are beginners and the advanced; the intermediates think they know everything. I'd say I'm an intermediate, but I certainly don't think I know everything. However, it's good to eat a little humble pie every once in a while like I did today.

So that's enough for me. As much as I can, I'm going to infuse this blog with as much love and compassion as I can muster. Maybe even inspire one or two of you. To that end, here's Portia.

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters

By Portia Nelson
I

I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
I fall in.
I am lost ... I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes me forever to find a way out.


II

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place
but, it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.


III

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in ... it's a habit.
my eyes are open
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.


IV
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.


V
I walk down another street.

No comments: