Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I don't know what I have done, I'm turning myself into a demon

It's fucking freezing out! I woke up this morning to the sound of someone scraping ice off of their windshield. I was convinced what I heard was an artifact from a dissolving dream. It didn't take me long to discover it was all too real. Hey, if it was the middle of February, I'd be raving about how warm it was, so I'm not too sore at Mother Nature because everything is relative and I'm a resilient son of a bitch, to boot. Or at least that's the company line.

It's hard to believe, sitting here sort of bundled up, that mere days ago I was at the beach with Spira and Princess Puppy Baby, strolling idly along the shore in shorts and a tee shirt. It was a fine day; afterward, we picked up Spira's friend, Andrea, who she had met in Hawaii last year, from the yoga studio in Belmont she had been taking a workshop at. She came all the way from Saipan for that.

It was a pleasure spending time with her. I saw them again earlier this evening. We had pizza and Andrea told us more about herself. She was a cop for ten years, ran a marathon in the Arctic Circle, is an avid scuba diver, and a physical therapist. Impressive resume. Overall, she was a very warm, kind woman and I was glad to meet her.

 Watching Mad Men last night, it occurred to me that I don't watch movies very much these days. Part of the reason is because Roger Ebert passed away. I used to read his reviews religiously and ended up seeing a lot of movies because of him. Another reason has to do with shows like Mad Men. I think we're in the golden age of television right now. In large part because of HBO, there are numerous shows I'd classify as masterpieces. Here ares some:

The Sopranos
Deadwood
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Wire
Game of Thrones
True Detective
The Office
30 Rock
The Simpsons

The fact that I know there are shows I'm leaving off the list, is kind of amazing. There's a lot of quality out there. TV feels like it's going through what the music biz was going through back in the late sixties and seventies. More creative freedom was given to the artists and as a result, music became more expansive and the world was introduced to some amazing stuff.

Before I continue, I should note that when I refer to TV, I'm speaking primarily about cable television. I'm told there are some fine shows being produced on network TV; I'm sure there are, but cable TV is still superior in my opinion. Network TV is more restrained and restricted. Can't swear or show titties, have to break for commercials and cater to everyone.

Oh, I don't know where I'm headed with this topic. Or maybe I do, but I feel like I've said enough about it. I'd like to go meditate or practice some nude yoga by candle light in my bedroom. I'd like to fit some Mad Men in, too, but Fleet Foxes are kissing my ears and it might be a good thing to sit with them a while longer.

But in silence, child, so it is here I must leave you.

Namaste




No comments: