Saturday, November 5, 2011

What can a poor boy do except sing for a rock n' roll band

Had a series of dreams last night that involved running into people I knew who were happy, almost overjoyed to see me. In one, I was going up an escalator and saw LW waiting for me at the top with a big smile on his face. My inclination was to walk past him, but he grabbed me by the arm and led me to a Bertucci's in the mall we were in, where there were two plates of pasta waiting for us. He was very happy to see me and whatever ill feelings I felt toward him eased away. I had several questions for him, but he kept talking. I woke up, leaving my former friend in the ether.

In another dream, I showed up at a party and people approached me with such warmth I was suspicious of their intentions. There were a couple of more dreams like that and one that wasn't so good. I think my father was disappointed in me or something. Whatevs. Nice having such pleasant dreams.

Rae is taking care of two dogs this weekend. Kuma is a hulking yellow lab - he must weigh at least eighty pounds - and Chloe, a miniature dachshund, is much smaller in stature. I love them both. Fred's girlfriend, Danielle, is here for the weekend, so it's a full house. This morning, the four of us played with the dogs and laughed at their antics. Fred played the organ and Mike howled along. Good times.

I've been following Humble Brag on Twitter. Whoever runs the page compiles tweets from celebrities and regular people that are brags cloaked in humbleness, hence the name of the page. Some of the tweets are borderline, others are flat out obnoxious. Below are some examples.

"I seriously have no business being a nerd with this body type. Biceps should not noticeably increase in size this quickly" - Dantheshive

"I hate when people tell me, 'You're too pretty for tattoos' …shut up …it's art" - Ashlee Holmes

"Because I have a pretty face does not mean I'm destined to be an ornament my whole life. I want more than that." - Chloe Stagner

"All the muscle I've put on working out over the last year will just be more food for the bear to eat when I'm camping tonight." Rivers Cuomo ( This guy has always seemed like an arrogant piece of shit to me. This tweet (and there are others I've read that are just as obnoxious) will be Exhibit A if he ever goes on trial for his arrogance.

Facebook has its humblebraggers, but thankfully for me, most of my friends don't engage in it much. I do, however, have a one or two that do it fairly regularly. Not as egregious as the examples listed above, though.

Anyway, I've got to finish up this post so I can do other things. Maybe going to a party later, but it kind of sucks when I go to parties; everyone wants my attention and after a while it gets tiring. Oh, well, we all have our burdens.

It's the 5th of November. A good reminder that tyranny must never prosper. Occupy the world!

No comments: