Monday, January 31, 2011

I'm nodding my head like yeah, moving my hips like yeah

With all the snow we've been assaulted with this winter, the side roads have become narrower and narrower and, consequently, more dangerous. To wit, I almost got into a couple of accidents on my way home from work today that had everything to do with the snow. Well, the good news is winter is half over. The bad news is we're about to be leveled with at least another twenty inches of snow. We're good for one major snow storm a week. At this rate, we're due for about eight or nine more. What a winter.

We're almost at 20,000 hits. Not much of an achievement when you compare it to, say, a popular blog, where 20,000 hits can occur in a blink of an eye, but by my standards, it's fairly impressive. I've been at it for a number of years of now and while my readership hasn't multiplied like the mice that have completely taken over my kitchen, I'm happy with what I've got. I've never been interested in the numbers game anyway.

My initial purpose for this blog was to have a forum that would keep me writing on a regular basis. That I've done; I've kept my chops up, such as they are, but if there's been any improvement, I don't see it. That's okay, I'm not being graded.

I also had in mind to have no parameters as far as content went. I could write short stories, poems, character studies, essays, plays, you name it. As it turned out, I've for the most part treated this blog as a journal and have relegated my more ambitious and creative material to my other blog. Sometimes I wish I would have gone with the initial idea, but this framework has worked for me.

Increasingly, though, I've entertained the idea of shutting it all down. I've wondered if things have grown stale, if anyone, including myself, still finds anything of value in this blog. More so, I've been bandying about the idea of closing up shop and starting over, only this time telling only a select few people. In this new format, I'd be able to write more freely about my life and the people in it. Not that it'd be that different than what I'm doing here, but there are people who read this blog, or people they know, that could be featured in it at times in a less than flattering light. I'm not about the business of hurting anyone unduly, especially in a public forum. There's plenty of that type of behavior that I don't need to contribute. With that said, sometimes I resent the self-imposed restraint. Sometimes a brother may just want to vent. Ya dig?

Ah, but to go through the effort of starting a new blog just so I don't have to edit as much isn't worth it to me right now. I do know that if I'm to continue with this blog, a kick in the pants needs to happen. Whether that means altering the format, taking a hiatus, or some other outcome, I'm not sure. Frankly, I've got greater concerns to contend with. Best keep things status quo for the time being.
-
I had a good yoga session this afternoon, despite my mind chattering up a storm throughout. It was therapeutic. I've had a few aggravating things on my mind of late, and the yoga helped keep me in balance. Still, in the interest of peace of mind, it will probably benefit me to take a lengthy break from one or two people in my life. The yoga can't make it all go away.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I suggest 'pie of the day' now that's catchy!

Who doesn't like pie?

Kevin said...

Hmmm...But what about the cake people, Kim? They're a surly lot; I don't want to get on their bad side. Anyway, good idea, Kim. Keep 'em coming.

Kate said...

I am going to have to disagree with you Kevin,
I love cake and I don't think that I am one bit surly! I actually like pie and cake and don't call me surly!