Sunday, January 9, 2011

And I'm the only one who laughs at your jokes when they are so bad, and your jokes are always bad

I watched The Fountain and enjoyed it very much. I regret having put off watching it for so long, but I only did so because of all the negative attention it received. Over time, I've learned to not trust entirely the rulings of the court of public opinion, but there is also something to be said for where there is smoke, there is fire. I don't what people were thinking in this instance, except to say that they were doing very little.

The movie was said to be a disjointed mess, impossible to follow, over done. I must have watched a different movie than everyone else, because I found it quite easy to follow, beautifully rendered, and poignant. To this day, Darren Aronofsky defends this work vehemently. As he should. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for him to know that so many viewers don't get it. I have to believe that over time, especially in the wake of critically lauded works like The Black Swan, The Fountain will be looked back upon as one of his masterworks. I was deeply affected by it. I'm glad I saw it.
-

Keeping an eye on all the odd fish and bird deaths that have occurred recently. Call me crazy, but I'm not really buying the claim that at least in one instance, a flock of birds died as a result of being displaced by the roar and flash of fireworks. Apparently, most of them were displaced into houses and other stationary objects. Hmmm....maybe, but wouldn't we have a record of this type of thing happening before, considering our country's love of fireworks. And how do we account for all the other bird and fish deaths across the world in Sweden, New Zealand, Brazil, and Florida? High strangeness. Perhaps there is a logical explanation, perhaps not, but you've got to do better than fireworks as the cause.

Wanted to be more social this weekend, but there wasn't much going on. I wasn't devastated by this development and managed to attend to matters that needed attending to, like crying myself to sleep, for instance.

Spira and I went out for lunch earlier. Got some burgers at the Rosebud and then coffee at Starbucks. Haven't had a burger in a while - it was good; mushroom swiss was how I rocked it.

Seven Samurai and Rashoman are playing at the Capitol in a couple of weeks. I don't have a bucket list, but if I did, seeing Seven Samurai on the big screen would most certainly be on it. I will not miss it, I declare!

We're almost at 20,000 hits on this here blog, which is kind of significant, right? Maybe we should celebrate when we get there. It'll be a gala affair. I'll brainstorm and see what I can come up with. I'm open to suggestions, too. Oh, it'll be fun, I tells ya!

No comments: