Friday, January 21, 2011

I embace a moment, I'm in love with a dream

Not so much a crappy week, but a trying one. Being pelted with snow every other day didn't help matters, but I dealt with it. Didn't go to work today because of last night's snow fall. I did, however, manage to squeeze some work in at the courthouse in Cambridge. Not quite a full day's work, but it was something. And, with finances looking grim, something is better than nothing.

I had gone to the courthouse yesterday on behalf of Jeff, who wanted me to research some files in Probate. When I returned to the office with copies and info, I learned that I neglected to obtain a particular document that Jeff needed. So, if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have had any work today. It pays to screw up every now and again.

Despite the roads being in fine condition by the time I left for Cambridge, there weren't too many people out and about. I pulled up to a meter near the courthouse and questioned whether I should park there. There were no cars parked nearby, which I found suspicious. Maybe the parking ban was still in effect? I thought about it for a minute and decided to give it a shot. There wouldn't be any more plowing - the sun was out and there was no snow on the roads - perhaps the ban had been lifted. I got out of the car and, just as I was about to feed the meter, an older couple came upon me on the sidewalk and informed me I would be towed if I remained there. Not finding that outcome desirable, I parked in the garage at the Gallereia.

The courthouse was virtually empty, particularly Probate. It was refreshing. Probate is usually crammed tight with ornery people dealing with paternity and divorce issues. And worse - lawyers abound! Not a place you want to hang out in for very long. Today you could hear a pin drop and the clerks, relieved of the hustle and bustle, were kind and helpful.

While I was waiting for my file to brought down from another room, I walked across the atrium to the Registry to see who was around, and by that I mean the woman I've had a bit of a crush on for a while now. I've mentioned her before - she's the one I'd envisioned to be kind of flaky in an Annie Hall kind of way, though I had no basis to support the notion. Maybe, because I'm attracted to that type, it was a case of wishful thinking on my part. Anyway, she was nowhere to be found.

I walked back to Probate, grabbed my file, and spread it out on the surface a long cabinet. Someone did the same next to me and when I looked over I saw that it was her. I'd never had the occasion to speak to her before, had never even been this close. It would be unfortunate if I passed up on this opportunity. I promised myself I'd say something to her. I just had to figure out what I was going to say. I ruled out "I love you", figuring that would be a bit much, and "Please like me", figuring that would come off as being a bit needy.

She left Probate, leaving her work atop the cabinet. I wondered if she had forgotten to return it to the clerk or if she intended on coming back. I figured the latter scenario was more likely. It was. She returned a few minutes later. My word to myself is bond, so when she appeared, I said, "Just so you know, I made sure no one took your file while you were gone. I watched it like a hawk."

She smiled, folded her hands prayer-like under her chin, and said "Thank you soooo much!". It was a funny display. I said, "Oh, it was nothing. It's what I do. I had to fight a few scoundrels off, but, in the end, it turned out okay."

"I keep wondering if someone will take my stuff and I think it will happen eventually, but it doesn't and I ....." Ok, I let the above comment trail off because I can't recall exactly what she said and can't convey the manner in which she said it, except to say that it was a bit rambling and kind of goofy. In a word: endearing. My suspicion that she was an oddball, or at least had the tendencies of one, was confirmed, yet I was still surprised. Remember, I had never spoken to her before and could only guess at how I thought she'd be. There is the gut, though, and mine, more often than not, has guided me true. I tend to interact well with people who are left of center, but it doesn't happen too often these days. It was nice having someone play along with me and not look at me like I was a drooling derelict. I may drool, but I am most certainly not a derelict.

Now here's where a bit of synchronicity comes into effect. Last night, Janelle and I were watching The Office and there are two characters on the show, Erin and Holly, that have quirky, endearing personalities that I adore. Last night's episode focused on Michael and Holly's relationship, and throughout I kept thinking how I'd like to date someone like Holly, someone offbeat, flawed, and kind. Months ago, I had a dream, which I may have related in this blog, about having such a strong kinship with a woman I met at the Registry in Cambridge, there was no question we were meant for each other. It wasn't clear who this woman was, save that she was blondish, worked there, and was a playful oddball.

I always associated the way we interacted in the dream with the way Michael and Holly interact in The Office. Not specifically, but more in the way they seem to be kindred spirits. And there was a correlation to Holly in personality; the woman in the dream was not your normal, run of the mill woman. After the dream, whenever I saw this woman at the Registry, I always wondered if she was the one in the dream. It seemed as if she was, but I didn't put too much thought into it, especially given the fact that we had never interacted and I suspected she was married.

So, on the heels of watching last night's Holly and Michael episode of The Office, I finally get to meet this woman, whose name I still do not know, and the first thing I think of when she speaks to me is, "She reminds me of Holly". What does it all mean? Am I suggesting I've found my sould mate, that it was preordained and I've been given signs of its eventuality? I hesitate to make that leap, though there is a part of me that is rooting for that to be the case. The best thing I can do for myself is to stay present and let matters pan out the way they'll pan out. Today I was just happy to have broken the ice; now, when I see her again, there will be recognition. Hopefully, anyway. I'd be lying, however, if it didn't put a grin on the rest of my day. When she left, she looked over her shoulder and said, "Thank you so much!" in a playful way.

"My pleasure", I replied.

And it was.

No comments: