Saturday, January 8, 2011

And the moon shines bright, as I rove at night, to muse upon my charmer

Having vivid dreams lately. Most of them have found me among friends past and current. The one I awoke from this morning had me the owner of a new bike, one I was just about ready to take for a spin before I woke up. Oh, to have a bike again. Come spring, I'll have to remedy that.

Presently, I'm adding music to my iTunes library. This morning, I've added some Bert Jansch, Chris Bell, Beck, The Danielson Family, Belle & Sebastian, Devendra Banhart, The Incredible String Band, Mavin Gaye, and The Beatles. As you can see, I've been sticking to the early part of the alphabet. It's slow going, but I'm getting there. A pleasant task accompanied by the lazy sipping of warm coffee and songs on shuffle.

We got some snow last night, but a mere dusting it was. Still, it's a day that one would rather stay indoors. I've stated it numerous times, but I am not a fan of winter. No, sir. Alas, I look for it's bright spots, few as they are, and try to make the best out of it.

More awards.

Sign of The Apocalypse # 45

One word: Snookie.

Best Concert

I saw a few this year - Sufjan Stevens, Jonsi, and Rufus Wainwright - and each was very good, but Rufus's performance at The Opera House was truly sublime. And, as an added bonus, Spira and I spotted his sister, Martha, in the park before the show. We didn't approach her, but it was kind of cool seeing her for some reason.

Most Overused Phrase

This may mostly be coming from the sports media, but everyone, in reference to the future tense, says things like, "Moving forward, the team needs to focus on effort" or "Going forward, the coach needs to stop watching his players in the shower." As for me, moving forward, I'd like to see this phrase put to rest, or at the very least used a bit less. Let's mix it up a bit, people.

Moving forward.

I started watching The Human Condition last night, but I did so late and thus fell asleep through some of it. I may continue with it today. I love this film so much and am eager to share it with others, but it's a tough sell, being that it's about 9 1/2 hours long. It also has subtitles, which is anathema to some.

Through Netflix, I received a documentary called "In Search of The English Folk Song". I had read about it in an article about June Tabor and it sounded like it'd be worthwhile. The description of it included "...by the acclaimed director, Ken Russell". I must have confused him with Ken Burns, because that's the type of documentary I was expecting. What I got instead was a low budget, Benny Hill type affair. Not expecting that. I fast forwarded until I got to June Tabor singing acappella. I'm a little afraid to watch any further.


It's off with me to McKinnon's to buy some chicken for the Greek dish I'll be making later on. At some point this weekend, I plan on watching Aronofsky's The Fountain, a movie I've yet to see for some reason. One thing I know about it: people either love it or hate it. Kind of like me.

No comments: