Friday, August 27, 2010

I should trade my heart in for a watch

The phantoms of my past have been bubbling to the surface today. I've felt split in two; some of me functioning in the present while the rest of me sojourns through time and space, lured to moments once real. It's been my twenties I've been hovering around. I do not know why. A sudden urge to listen to The Eel's Electro-shock Blues has me firmly embedded in the period I listened to it a lot. The phantoms of the past must not take hold, lay claim to me. If they do, I fear my very soul will be in peril. Our ghosts, the ones that haunt us from the afterlife, are caught up in that cycle, I believe. Got to stay present, son. Eye on the prize.

Yesterday on the way to work, I spotted a snail affixed to my side mirror. It was hanging valiantly, but there were harrowing moments on the highway that put its existence in jeopardy. Several times the snail barely hung on, it's body mostly out of its shell, stretched out in the wind. A goner, I thought. Should I interfere or let things happen as nature dictates, I asked myself. I didn't have too long to think on it; the snail was soon to perish.

As I drove, I kept careful, maybe too careful, vigil over the snail, rooting it on and contemplating bringing it inside to let it recover on my dashboard. I ended up rolling my window down and gently holding it in place. It must have looked odd to those passing by. The little snail that could made it to work. Phew!

As I was driving home from work, I saw the snail on my mirror. Fuck! Why didn't I check the mirror before I started driving? I guess I figured the little guy would have gotten as far away from the car as possible. I was more than halfway home; maybe it would make it. After all, it was experienced now in this type of travel. It looked pretty secure on the mirror. That is, until a gust of wind left it dangling. Before I could get to the snail, the wind took it. I felt pretty lousy about the whole thing for a few minutes. And then I got over it. A bummer, though; I feel like I let the snail down.

I'm out of here. Going to read from Jordan's The Great Hunt, even better and more gripping than I remember it. Once I complete it, I'll only have twelve more massive books to go in my re-read of the series.

Must work on music. Got to go, kiddies.

No comments: