Saturday, August 14, 2010

Do you wanna come walk with me?

Yesterday, I finished my day at the registry in Cambridge. As I headed to the Galleria to retrieve my car from the garage, I called Spira, who lives a couple of blocks away, to see if she was around. I had a feeling she might be in the Galleria doing a little shopping. Turns out she was. I met up with her and we headed back to her place. First order of business: install a bidet.

I'm not kidding. Spira ordered a bidet through the mail. For those of you who don't know what I'm referring to, I'll let Wikipedia, that bastion of information, explain: A bidet is a low-mounted plumbing fixture or type of sink intended for washing the genitalia, inner buttocks, and anus. (Just between you and me, I figured you all knew what a bidet was, but I needed an excuse to share that definition, which, I admit, made me laugh a bit. I guess I find bidet humor funny.)

Spira did most of the work installing the bidet, which was basically a plastic device that hooked on to the toilet seat (Kind of like the Captain's chair in Star Trek. There's a control panel on the right set up like an arm rest). At one point, she realized she needed bolts longer than the ones provided. So we leashed up Missy the greyhound and walked over the bridge into Charlestown to Ace Hardware. On the way, almost every single pedestrian we passed stopped and gushed over Missy. They didn't just pet her, they hugged and kissed and her, and made plenty of baby talk. It was no different inside the hardware store, which kind of worked to my benefit, because I was the one holding the leash when an attractive woman came over and chatted me up about Missy. Spira joined the conversation, unintentionally ruining whatever chance I had with this woman. It didn't bother me, but I told her afterward I wanted to borrow Missy every once in a while; I'd have the perfect ice-breaker with women. Look, I need all the help I can get.

Back at Spira's place, the bidet was installed without anything else gumming up the works. We went out to a nice little sandwich shop for dinner. I got a delicious falafel wrap, Spira went with a tuna melt with bacon. Later, after we digested some of our dinner, we practiced yoga.

I was productive today. In the morning, I went out for some groceries at Trader Joe's, went for a vigorous run in the near perfect weather, cleaned my room, installed the new spray gun I bought for our kitchen sink (Our old one finally passed away yesterday after a long, painful illness.It went quietly in its sleep), and worked on some music.

Enough of me. Mark and Isobel, take us home.

3 comments:

Kate said...

The bidet is a little bit funny. But according to my brother who has lived in Europe on and off for the last eight years, they think that more Americans should employ the bidet. I guess we are not just ugly Americans apparently we are stinky as well. *chuckles*

About Missy The Greyhound, that is really cool that she won you so much attention! I just wish that more people would realize that they are sweet, fun dogs who are also deserving of a good home. However, I was relieved to find that dog racing has been outlawed in the Bay State perhaps now these dogs will have an easier life...in Massachusetts anyway.

I have on several occasions jokingly threatened to steal Stella from Rachael because I love her so much and because I've been dogless for three years now. :^( However I realize that not everyone is cut out to be a dog parent to a greyhound they are a unique breed. Oh and just so that you know, I guess there really is such a thing as "Rent A Puppy" for the single guy who is looking to meet women under the guise of "walking their adorable puppy".

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

I have tried to comment but... all I can do is snicker. LOL

Kevin said...

Nothing wrong with the bidet; not sure I'd buy one just yet.

Missy sure is a hit with people. Spira was over here with her recently. We were sitting on the porch and saw someone walking by with a greyhound. Spira said "Oh, that must be one of the three greyhounds in Somerville". I asked her why she thought there was only three greyhounds in the city. "I checked online" was her response. I'm not a betting man, but I would bet my soul that there are more than three greyhounds in Somerville.Now, if she said there were only three koala bears, then I'd be more apt to believe her.