Thursday, July 22, 2010

Singles going steady

You might have gotten the idea from reading this blog that, in addition to being totally cool and ultra hip, I have my geeky tendencies. It's true - I do, and I'm not going to curl up in a ball and get all morose over it. And neither should you. I like the fact that I have a geeky side; it denotes intelligence, a healthy imagination, and a fierce, almost overwhelming, sexuality. Okay, maybe that last bit is slightly less than accurate, but I digress. What I'm trying to say is I'm in love with Leigh Butler.

Obviously, I need to provide a little back story to illustrate how my being a bit of a geek (in addition to being totally cool,ultra hip, and - I forgot to include this before - pure as the driven snow) and this mysterious Leigh Butler relate. For that, we'll have to venture back to high school, when I was a young, impressionable, and less wizened, lad. The world was my oyster.....

Stifle that yawn! You needn't worry, I'm not going to drag this out. I'm going to be quick, see? Think I'm fibbing? Watch me.

1. In high school, I was introduced Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time novels. I was very much into epic fantasy, especially stories stretched out over several books. I saw Eye Of The World, the first book in the WOT series, at a local book store, and, after reading the back flap, purchased it immediately. It ran close to a thousand pages, but I devoured it in a few days. I went out and purchased the second book in the series, then the third, etc., and read each ravenously.The series, one long, continuous story, is still ongoing. Jordan passed away before he could complete the final book; it has since been taken over by Brandon Sanderson, an established, popular, author, who is working from notes Jordan left behind. Off the top of my head, I think when it's all said and done, there will be thirteen or fourteen books total. And these are FAT books, son!

2. As a consequence of there being so many fat, bordering on obese, books in the series, you forget a lot of stuff as a reader. To remedy that, I and many other readers, have reread the books prior to a new one being released. I'm currently on my third go round for at least half of the books (Shoot, maybe I'm geekier than I projected! I need to go watch a football game or--nay, and-- go to a strip club). I discovered a woman named Leigh Butler is doing the same (rereading the series, that is: not watching football and visiting a strip club).

3. Through TOR's website (TOR is the publisher of the books), I've been reading Leigh's chapter by chapter account of her thoughts and feelings on the books. According to her, she's reread the series about seven times, making her way more of a geek than me. What she does is first summarize the chapter she reading, then she offers commentary on it. I didn't expect such good writing on her part. Insightful, witty, and irreverent, her prose has enchanted me. And, thus my claim that I'm in love with her.

See, that wasn't bad. I admit, it wasn't as quick as advertised, but I got you up to speed without being too much of a long-winded prick. Back to Leigh butler. I'm in love with her for a few reasons. First off, the fact that she's even familiar with Jordan's books, is a huge plus. Secondly, her writing, while not hiding her geekdom, indicates someone who's cool, funny, and probably cute. Lastly, because she has yet to post a picture of herself, I'm able to let my imagination determine what I'd like her to look like. And in my mind we share the same interests. What's that, Leigh? You'd rather watch a Herzog movie with me than go sip martinis with your dull-witted, lemming-like, coworkers? And you want to discuss the merits of Yes's seminal album, Close To The Edge? Alright, Leigh Butler, you're on. Are you serious about each and every one of my songs melting your heart and blowing you mind? Well, now you've gone and made me blush. Get over here and kiss me on the lips.

Rereading the Wheel of Time has been a thoroughly satisfying experience thus far, my mostly fantasy-derived crush on Leigh Butler notwithstanding. Granted, I'm still on the first book and have a long way to go, but I'm totally digging it. From page one onward, I've been reminded what a great writer Jordan was. Such a multi-layered, complex, and lived-in world he created, and in the thick of that grandiosity, that ambition, he managed to make it a truly human, truly intimate, affair. In other words, he didn't lose sight of what was most essential: story.

My discovery of Leigh Butler's re-read diary has been icing on the cake, an added bonus. I love the fact that after every chapter, I can go consult someones thoughts concerning it. A fellow traveler. Oh, pre-Internet Kevin, how deprived you were! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to spend some quality time with Mr. Jordan and my freshly acquired, soon to be betrothed to yours truly, WOT confidant .

2 comments:

Kate said...

I should give you my diatribe on love or more to the point; on men and love. I don't know maybe I will save it for a blog. But, if you read it you will probably think that I am the most cynical person you've ever met!

Kevin said...

Let 'er rip, Kate. And don't worry, I already think you're the most cynical person that's alive. ;)