Friday, July 9, 2010

It's hard to keep my soul on the ground

Just experienced a pretty major set back the other day. I felt fairly devastated, but I've gained some perspective since that initial shock and am thinking more positively. Still trying to wrap my head around it, though. When I found out, I was devastated, yes, but also defiant. In the early evening's humidity, I went for a hard, vigorous run. I alternated between cursing God and telling myself I was going to get through it with as much conviction as I could muster. Running helped significantly; I released a lot of self pity-generated energy and, most importantly, made a statement that I was not going to shut down because of some bad fortune. No, I hit the pavement hard, pushed myself through the heat and humidity and birthed that perspective I spoke about.

As I said, I'm better today. I give myself credit, I feel proud. No one knows about what happened, I'm handling it myself. Mind you, not for any reason other than not wanting to give it any more airtime, so to speak, than was necessary. I was already thinking about it a lot and unproductively; I didn't want to dredge it up again in conversations, especially when I wasn't in the best frame of mind to heed counsel. Despite the fact that I'd love to move on from this situation post haste, I'm not against sharing it. Just not now. (This is not me advocating keeping one's problems to one's self, by the way. Don't go that route - it'll give you a coronary. Express every feeling to the fullest, even if it means people think you're emotionally unstable. And, stay in school, kids.)
--
I spent most of the day in Salem at the registry of deeds. Not a fan of driving through that city, with its maze-like infrastructure, but the registry is the best one I've been to in almost every way; however unsettled the drive rendered me, it didn't take long, once I was there, to relax. The place is the day spa of registries.It's right on the ocean. It's roomy. The staff are devoted to customer service (even says so on the wall leading into the place). There's an ATM. They even have their own cafeteria! Very accommodating and relaxing. I'm pretty sure there's a spa somewhere on the property. The nurturing environment was ideal, especially because I had some convoluted stuff I had to get on record, not to mention a few title searches that went back to the early 1900's. I managed to accomplish most of my tasks before quitting for the day. Glad to be home.
--
Watched When You're Strange, a fabulous documentary on The Doors, and ranks as one of the best rock documentaries I've seen. Narrated by Johnny Depp, it tells the tale of the band using plenty of archival footage and plenty of music. Very well done. I would have had multiple orgasms over this film when I was in my late teens/early twenties. I loved the band so much and wanted to be Jim Morrison. I bought all their albums, read every book, and watched every video. They were such a strange band, which was why I loved them so much. Their influence is present in my own songwriting, though most people don't pick up on it. I still plan on covering Indian Summer, one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard.

Just discovered The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is on Netflix's Watch Instantly. Been wanting to see that for a while. Also on Watch Instantly: Factotum, another film I've been meaning to watch. In the mail, I just received Shutter Island. May end up watching some movies in the coming days.
--

I think I've had the score of almost every World Cup game spoiled for me before I got to watch them. This past game between Spain and Germany was spoiled for me the second I went on Facebook after work. I had avoided every media outlet that day; I was proud of my diligence. I arrived home from work excited to watch the game. I went online, only to check mail and visit Facebook. Big mistake. I wish people would issue spoiler alerts before they post the outcome of these games. Well, it's kind of a moot point now that we're near the end, but still. Hopefully, I'll be able to watch the final game without knowing the score in advance.
--
Breaking news: I just made the switch from boxers to boxer briefs. Been a long time coming. I like the idea of boxers quite a bit, but they're often a pain to wear, especially during exercise. They bunch up, they twist. No good. They are, however, much better than thongs and tighty whities, which, thankfully for me, I got out of the habit years ago when my girlfriend saw me wearing them, frowned and said, "We're going to have issues if you keep wearing those. Makes me think of my dad." Fine with me. I made the transition to boxers without a complaint. Hell, I even went commando for a while, which, despite its inherent dangers, was a liberating, comfortable experience.

One thing about tighty whities and why adults wearing them is kind of wrong. I've recently developed a theory that the reason for this is because they too closely resemble diapers. In this arena, that of men's undergarments, women want their men to be men, not overlarge babies in cloth diapers. I am sure of this. The images tighty whities conjure, whatever they may be, cannot be anything other than creepy, at least as it pertains to me, and most other men in my age range wearing them. Anyway, I've moved on to boxer briefs, and you know what? I'm digging it.
--
Shortly, I'll be going for a run. It's been so hot lately, I've had to wait until the early evening to go. Kind of nice. Last outing, I saw a lot of rabbits. So cute. When I was young, I caught one with my bare hands. Took me a while, but I caught it. Kept it in a box for a few hours before releasing it. The rabbits I encountered on my run were not skittish. I actually had to sidestep a few of them, as if they were city pigeons. Those, I could have caught easily, even if I was on crutches. They were everywhere. Baby Boy Z would have been thrilled to the point of over stimulation. All those bunnies just waiting to caught! Where to start?

Who knows. I know where to finish, though, lads and lasses. I'm out this piece!

No comments: