Monday, July 26, 2010

I was sick of food, so I stopped eating

Below, you'll find a long-winded, bloated post about something best reserved for a sentence or two, maybe a paragraph. It's not pretty stuff. You've been warned.
-
I think it would be safe to say that your weekend was better than mine. Odds are, it was much better. I woke up Friday morning feeling as if I'd taken a handful of sleeping pills the night before. I could barely get out of bed. My muscles ached. From the previous day's yoga? I hoped so. Then, as the day progressed, I developed a throbbing headache and felt so lethargic I could barely keep my eyes open. There was a lot of work I needed to do; otherwise I would have gone home early.

By the time I left work, I felt even more lousy. My stomach was upset; I had some diarrhea at work, looked like I was in for more.I was hopeful, though, that whatever it was traveling through my system, would not take it's time about it. Still, on my way home, I called my dad and told him I might not be up for our scheduled visit on Saturday. There were multiple social events I feared I was going to miss out on, one of which was my friend Jessica's going away party.

That night stunk, but in light of what was coming, it was a walk down a country lane. The worst part was the fever. Once that settled in, I knew I was fucked. I had about three layers of blankets over me, despite it being at least ninety degrees outside. And when I'd have to get up and use the bathroom, I shivered uncontrollably. It was surreal. Everyone else had their air conditioners on; I was tempted to put on the heat. I didn't get much sleep that night.

The constant and unrelenting diarrhea began sometime after midnight, joining forces with the fever. I hoped this bug was like one of those severe thunder showers that are intense but short lived. It wasn't. I estimate that I made hundreds of trips to the bathroom over the course of the weekend. That is not an exaggeration. I could not leave the house, I could not do anything.

Spira saved my life and brought over some supplies for me, which included tp, Gatorade, and bananas. A simple act, perhaps, but one that was very much appreciated. Glad she was around. Liquids were the key; with my body not keeping anything down, it was key that I remained hydrated. Hence the Gatorade and its electrolytes.

Saturday night was more of the same. I couldn't do anything except rush to the bathroom. The thought of eating anything was appalling. A little rice, a saltine or two, a bit of banana was all I could stomach. If I slept that night it was only in short increments; the bathroom required my attention at least once every ten or twenty minutes.

Sunday arrived with more of the same, minus the intense fever. I spent the day feeling gross. Most of the weekend, my room smelled like meat and paint (Rich had fried up some bratwurst or some shit the day before and Janelle had just painted the cupboard) and my body felt over taxed and greasy.

When it became apparent that I wasn't getting any better, I called Marcy and left her a voice mail venting my concerns about coming to work today. I had taken some documents home with me that needed to get on record today in Cambridge. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to manage it. She needed the heads up.

As it happened, I ended up going to the registry this morning. I got a solid three hours of sleep last night and I was only pissing out of my ass only about twice an hour, so I figured I'd suck it up and give it a go. I was confident I would be in and out of the registry. I was wrong.

I won't go into why it took so long, but I was there almost two hours. Should have taken twenty or thirty minutes tops. Fortunately, my stomach took it easy on me and I didn't have to visit the restroom. I actually started feeling better.

I didn't go into work. I'm still pretty ill. All weekend, my barometer for how close I was to recovery was picturing various food items. I figured that as soon as I found one that was even slightly appealing, I could be rest assured that I was on the road to recovery. I pulled out the big guns: pizza, crepes, spinach pie, ice cream, cookies. Nothing stimulated my taste buds. This morning, however, the idea of a eating a bagel wasn't so nauseating to me. Progress, son!

Being at the registry so long left me dehydrated. I should have brought something to drink with me, but hindsight is twenty twenty. I hit the grocery store afterward, picked up some liquids and found the most perfect thing on God's green earth, something that stimulated every ounce of my being: Italian ice! I had some when I came home and it was a transcendent experience. The best thing that's happened to me in days.

Whatever I've got, is a mean son of a bitch. I feel a bit better, but my stomach is still gurgling constantly, the bathroom is still a common sight, I still feel frail, and I have a near zero interest in food. Even my libido is shot to hell. Ah, nothing like being sick in the summer. Nothing like it.

6 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Wow, how horrible!? Glad to hear your at least eating flavored ice. Get some EMERGAN-C. It will help rebuild your immune system.
I had a stomach virus 4xs in less than a month and was hospitalized twice from it.... I dont know which was worse, the stomach cramps, heaving up bloody stomach tissue, or the back pain afterwards (from the heaves combined with dehydrated kidneys). I FEEL YOUR PAIN!
Eat bland for a while. Feel better soon! :)
-Leigh

Kevin said...

Thanks, Leigh! Man, next to what you had, which sounds nightmarish, what I'm going through isn't that bad at all. One good thing out of all of this is I haven't been throwing up. At least there's that.

Tell me more about your virus. When did you have it and how much did you feel like dying? Sounds intense.

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

LOL! Next blog title..."Lets talk about Barf"! lol

I caught the stomach virus back in the spring of 2008. I have had a few since then but that one remains famous.

My friend and I seemed to pass that one back and fourth but I was pregnant at the time which complicated matters. After three days of puking every few minutes, I prayed that I would just die... Then I started seeing blood in the small amount of stomach acid that I would wretch up... Then I really thought I was going to die. Thats when I prayed to live! lol
It was a very rough go. I had to be treated by my OB instead of my regular doctor and he was 45 min away... not fun trip to say the least. The last hospital stay, when they hooked me up to the IV's I felt better with in 30 min. I told the nurse I felt so much better and she said that the dehydration was making me nauseous.
And the virus had probably long passed...but I have to say the back ache was horrendous, it felt like a horrible kidney infection.

I wonder if you havent been fighting this for a while now... refering to last weeks questionable red meat?

Kate said...

OMG!! (Sorry I know that is trite but I think that your post warrants it) I do hope that you really are healthy now because that is just plain miserable! Normally, I would scold you for too much information in your blog but I will give you a pass this time because of the mitigating circumstances.
I am willing to bet that some kind of virus that is going around because Melanie was sick as a dog Wednesday-Saturday. I hope that I am not jinxing myself here but... The last time that I was really sick was in the fall of 2006. It was just about 18 hours of throwing up. I remember when I was toward the end of it all that my stomach hurt so much and I remember thinking that I might as well eat something because I would rather have something to bring up than just keep retching with nothing more to give.

Take care of yourself, Kevin!

Kate said...

Clearly our bodies know something intuitively that we don't know intellectually. I have definitely heard of detox diets but the flu is a bit more extreme. Why is it that every once in a while our stomachs feel the need to turn completely inside out? Perhaps it is revenge for past sins and slights? "Stop feeding me junk and I won't put you through any more of this torture! Do we have a deal?"

Kevin said...

Wow, Leigh! Now that's an illness. That must have been absolute hell to live through. And while pregnant!

I was thinking the same thing about being sick after that recent cookout. Good memory! I'm pretty sure the two events are connected. OUT OF MY BODY, YOU!!

Kate, thanks for the support! And give my regards to Melanie, a fellow casualty of the stomach bug. I find it ironic that I became sick when I was at my healthiest (at least physically). I guess it doesn't matter. Everyone gets sick, no matter how healthy. Sometimes it's your number that's called. I hope you (knocks on wood) avoid what your sister got. Doesn't sound like fun.