Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I want to be as deep as the ocean

Practiced yoga after work, followed by some pasta and tofu (I'm one of those oddities that not only likes tofu quite a bit, but can eat it plain and uncooked. If you've just thrown up in your mouth, I'm sure it's not the first time it's happened while reading my blog). Prior to that, all I'd eaten was an orange and a little cottage cheese. I brought some yogurt to work, but never got around to eating it. It would have helped if I had remembered to bring a spoon with me, but I'm not sure I would have eaten it even if I had. Getting over a stomach issue or, as Janelle calls it, crummy tummy. Food hasn't been top of the list.

So how and when did I get sick? The how I'm not sure of, but the when was Monday morning around five o'clock. I couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough. I was there for a while, sick and shivering, before I made it back to bed and caught a couple of hours of sleep. When my alarm woke me, I wasn't feeling very well at all. I could have gone to work, I think, but it's been a while since I've taken a day off, so I did. After I got off the phone with Marcy, I promptly fell asleep for a few hours. I slept like the dead. I had a long, involved dream about what it would be like, realistically speaking, if I had sex with a particular someone I know. It was a cautionary tale, and I'd do well to heed its message, but it was kind of cool at the same time getting to fool around with this person.

The day before was spent at Tracy and Ray's cookout up in NH. I didn't eat too much, but I did have a couple of burgers which, because I very rarely eat red meat, may have contributed to my stomach malaise. It may have been that Tracy and Ray intentionally poisoned me. I'll have to conduct an investigation.

The gathering was fun and, dare I say, nurturing. I didn't know everyone there, but most of the attendees were people I've known for a while and love being around. Ray had two grills and a TV going. The TV was for those of us hanging outside who were interested in the World Cup final between Spain and The Netherlands. A few of my friends have connections to Holland and rooted for them; Janelle and I were in the minority as Spain fans, and took our share of abuse leading up to the game. Which made Spain's victory all the more sweet.

A fine gathering. I wish it lasted longer. It is always the way of things when we get together. To be among friends is a blessing. For those of you who don't care about the sentimental crap and want the dirt, to that end I'll answer "no" to the following questions:

1. Did you get drunk and vomit all over yourself or someone else?

2. Were there hash brownies present?

3. Did you make out with anyone ?

4. Did you take a shower with anyone?

5. Did you play spin the bottle?

6. Was there a fist fight?

7. Did anyone break down in tears at any point?

8. Were people gossiping about each others outfits?

9. Did anyone pass out?

10. Was anything stolen?

There you have it. Still, despite all of the above not happening, it was a good time. Really, it was.
--
I've watched some movies in the last few days. They are:

1. Shutter Island. Very well done. The score and some of the cinematography reminded me of The Shining. The only downer for me, and it wasn't much of one, was knowing fairly early on how it was going to end. Should have, on some level, been nominated for an Oscar or two.

2. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Based on a popular trilogy of books I've never read, this import from Sweden was also well done. As a mystery, it fell a bit short, but the characters were compelling and the acting was top notch. Hollywood is planning a remake. I shiver at the thought.

3. Walkabout. I've wanted to see this film for a long time. Made in 1971, it tells the story of a brother and sister who, after experiencing some horrific business with their father, end up getting lost in Australia's outback. An aboriginal boy on a Walkabout discovers them and helps them survive. The film was more layered than I expected going in. I liked it quite a bit and I'm glad I saw it. Didn't take the easy way out when it could have. Hollywood would have made it a feel good rated G affair, which, isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it would have missed the point by a mile.

I'm about to watch The Messenger. Hear it's good. I'm about to find out.

4 comments:

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Take it easy on the tummy issues... tofu is a safe eat, rice too. My stomach hurt just reading your post... I cant eat red meat either. Red meat = Head laying on toilet into the wee hours of morning. I really do wonder if there isnt something to that "Eat for your Blood type" thing.

Congrats on your (Spain) win. ;)

Kate said...

I hope that you are feeling better too, Kevin. It is funny I don't usually have a bad reaction to red meat even though I don't eat it all that much anymore. I was actually afraid that I might have a "crummy tummy" after the party on Sunday because I ate a good (or bad depending on your perspective) mixture of foods and I usually pay for that the next day or even later that night. However, my stomach seemed to survive the onslaught heavy eating and didn't complain.

@ Leigh: Could you elaborate about that "Eat for your Blood type" thing? I have never heard that before.

Kevin said...

Feeling better. I'm wondering if it's a bug or the red meat. If it was the red meat, I may have to swear it off completely, which, after watching Food, Inc., is something I've pretty much been doing anyway. Let's stick with cookies, Leigh.

Good to see you at the cookout, Kate. Glad you avoided what I went through.

Leigh, Andrea Leigh Gil said...

Kate,
Eat right for your blood type is a certain diet that claims that certain blood types digest specific food groups better than others... a good reference site is http://www.dadamo.com/ Very interesting stuff. Im not sure how accurate any of it is but Im type A and I tend to get sick off of most meat and other processed foods. Which according to eat right for your blood type I should stick to raw foods (fruits and veggies).... It took several years for me to learn that eating my steak rare wasnt a worthy compromise. ;)

A generalized review on eat right for your blood type -> http://www.webmd.com/diet/eat-right-for-your-type

:)