Thursday, May 13, 2010

This is the strangest life I've ever known

I went in to work early this morning so that I could record some documents for a law firm next door. Time was of the essence, or so we were told. The idea was for me to come in, grab the documents and head up to Nashua, where they needed to be recorded. When I arrived, they hadn't been delivered to our office yet. Finally, an hour and a half later, they showed up. And I took flight.

My time at the registry was gratifying. Part of it had to do with the fact that the staff made my life a lot easier by helping me out of a couple of jams , the details of which I won't bore you with. Linda being flirty didn't hurt, either. And the coup de grace was running into my aunt and uncle (really my dad's cousin and his wife, but they've always been more like my aunt and uncle).

I was sitting at one of the computers in the research working very, very hard, because that's what I do at all times, when I felt a hand on my shoulder followed by "Kevin? Oh my God, it is you!"

I turned around and saw Linda and Steve and couldn't believe it. They live in Harvard, MA, I see them maybe once or twice a year. Running into them at the Registry of Deeds in Nashua, NH, was pretty effing random. They were tracking down the chain of title for a bit of property they were about to purchase. I did the work for them - only took a few minutes - because the computer system up there is a nightmare for the uninitiated and they would have been there forever trying to navigate it. Linda was thrilled at her good fortune at running into someone who could help them and offered to take me to lunch. I would have taken them up on the offer, especially since they're easygoing, affable, people, but I was on the clock and needed to finish up some work. Strange seeing them there, but I'm glad I did.

Leaving the registry, I called my mom to tell her about what happened. At first, she thought I was calling in response to the email she sent me this morning. "Nope, didn't get your email. What's up?", I said.

"Well, Nana's in the hospital. She fell down and fractured her pelvis." Bad news. Not ten minutes earlier, Linda had asked me how my grandmother was doing. I told her, truthfully, that she was doing great, better than ever. Guess I spoke too soon.
-
Yesterday, I came home from work, did some yoga, and then left to see Foley's band play at Block 11 in Union Square. I stopped at Mara's place first to drop off a check Foley had asked me to give her and ended up hanging out with her roommate Jessica for a bit (Mara was at school). Block 11 was only a mile or so up the street; I figured I still had time to see the band. I was wrong. I misjudged. When I arrived at the coffeehouse, the band was packing up. Fuck! I thought another band was playing before them. Nope. Oh, well. I apologized, helped them pack up their gear, grabbed a coffee to go, and headed home.
-
The Celtics game tonight should be interesting. The C's pulverized Lebron and company last game so bad that the next day everyone in the sports media was hollering about how much Lebron blew it. Many took it further and declared Lebron a perennial loser and phony. As much as I want the Celtics to win, I think the reaction to Lebron's poor play has been way too overblown. It's one game, people. I predict, and I hope I'm wrong, Lebron is going to play out of his freaking mind tonight. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. If the Celtics win, they move on to Orlando and Cleveland goes home. And Lebron will most likely have seen his last game in a Cavs uniform. Tonight will be a nail biter. After the Bruins decided to blow a three game lead in their series against Philly, I don't think my pure heart can take two game sevens. The Celtics need to win tonight.
-
And with that, I leave you. To quote Ice Cube, one of Hip Hop's elder statesmen, today was a good day.

No comments: